Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   Removal of 2004 Hummer H2 Master Switch (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/removal-2004-hummer-h2-master-switch-39281/)

hummer_on_fumes 01-19-2018 10:37 PM

Removal of 2004 Hummer H2 Master Switch

I am sorry if I sound dumb but I don't want to break anything - maybe I'm being overly paranoid. How do I remove the master switch (drivers door window/locks etc) on a 2004 Hummer H2? I've tried searching on the forums, Google, and YouTube, nobody seems to have directions on it. Is it the same as the H3 where it just pops out with metal clips? My switch surround (the plastic part) is loose, every time I open the door it jiggles around and is very annoying. I want to check if a clip is broken or missing then try to fix it or replace the case. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

LoJac963 01-21-2018 12:15 PM

There is no metal clips. The surround you speak of has small tabs all around it which secures it to the door panel. The switch pack then snaps into the surround. You just have to be a little careful in prying the surround straight up. Those tabs are tight as hell. When I did my LEDs in everything I put small felt bumpers on all those plastic on plastic pieces to relieve some of the speaking these suffer from.

hummer_on_fumes 01-21-2018 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by LoJac963 (Post 349503)
There is no metal clips. The surround you speak of has small tabs all around it which secures it to the door panel. The switch pack then snaps into the surround. You just have to be a little careful in prying the surround straight up. Those tabs are tight as hell. When I did my LEDs in everything I put small felt bumpers on all those plastic on plastic pieces to relieve some of the speaking these suffer from.

What kind of small tabs? Plastic? They pull out using pressure? And you pull the master switch straight up and not out toward you? Thanks!

clsimmon 01-23-2018 12:57 PM

If you want to ensure you don't break something or have pry marks on the plastic, then go ahead and just remove the door panel and release the clips from the inside. It's certainly what I would do.

hummer_on_fumes 03-10-2018 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by clsimmon (Post 349546)
If you want to ensure you don't break something or have pry marks on the plastic, then go ahead and just remove the door panel and release the clips from the inside. It's certainly what I would do.

The knucklehead who owned the truck previously broke literally every single clip, then glued the master switch down. Not only does this look terrible, but it makes it difficult to remove it if I needed to in the future. I removed the glue and the master switch cover and have been brainstorming a good way to fix it. My wife thought of the ingenious idea of using magnets with adhesive backs. My only question is - would magnets cause any ill effects on the electronics in the door panel? Or should this be a safe method? I tried using 3M Velcro but it wasn't sticking well enough.

hummer_on_fumes 03-11-2018 08:32 AM

I think I'm going to try industrial strength Velcro instead of magnets just to avoid any potential problems with magnets and electronics. The first time I tried 3M dual lock Velcro and it just doesn't work for this type of situation. I'll report back with pictures later if this is successful. Seems like this must be a common problem considering how easy it looks to be for someone to snap all the master switch plastic tabs off

clsimmon 03-11-2018 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by hummer_on_fumes (Post 350729)
I think I'm going to try industrial strength Velcro instead of magnets just to avoid any potential problems with magnets and electronics. The first time I tried 3M dual lock Velcro and it just doesn't work for this type of situation. I'll report back with pictures later if this is successful. Seems like this must be a common problem considering how easy it looks to be for someone to snap all the master switch plastic tabs off

It doesn't sound very OEM. Can you post some pictures? Perhaps there might be a better way of doing it.

hummer_on_fumes 03-12-2018 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by clsimmon (Post 350737)
It doesn't sound very OEM. Can you post some pictures? Perhaps there might be a better way of doing it.

What doesn't sound OEM? It is the original master switch cover on the door panel. The previous owner just broke every single clip removing it. I'm trying to think outside the box to fix it without using glue like they did. Velcro was not strong enough to hold it. I am going to try using magnets this time. Hopefully it doesn't cause any problems using magnets in the car.

Here are some photos of when I tried to fix it with Velcro (it didn't work because it wasn't sticking well enough)https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hum...39c93c1107.jpghttps://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hum...83f4f1aa05.jpg

LoJac963 03-12-2018 10:10 AM

Oh that sucks. I thought you were talking about the black surround that goes around the switches. That previous owner was an idiot, the switch pack easily pops out through the top using the black surround NOT the door trim.

Truthfully I would 2-part epoxy that piece of the door panel back on after properly prepping the areas to accept epoxy and if you need to remove the switch pack just pop it up and out against that piece you epoxied in. That's how I've always taken mine out. Eventually that black bezel will break, mine has but it doesn't affect holding the switches secure and new bezels can be had for around $35.

MixManSC 03-12-2018 12:30 PM

Yeah - I actually do not think that outer part is intended to be removable, ever. The only way to remove it is to break its tabs off as the factory melts the tabs into place. The switch and the black part around it are removable. I'd use some 2 part epoxy and permanently reattached that bit. Then in the future if you need to remove the switch or its black plastic part that it clips into, just remove those.

They might be on some years though. GM made a few slight changes like that with other bits like the grab handles. On a 2003 and I think 2004 the grab handles on the door panel are not able to be detached without damage but on later years they can be easily unbolted and removed. Some bits have the plastic tabs/clips melted to the surrounding plastic while other bits do not.