PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear End Sag Mystery

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 10:25 AM
Default Rear End Sag Mystery

I have a 2004 H2. Only 25k miles.

It is driven daily and parked about 8pm. About once a week when I go out in the morning the rear end is sagging. Kind of weird that it's only once a week. I took it to my local dealer and they couldn't find any leaks. Any thought? Thank you.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:24 AM

Air bags probably have some cracks in them. Air bags are relatively cheap and easy to replace.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:39 AM

yep they dry rot & leak air, both of my H2's did the same , depending where the air bag is (how inflated or deflated) when you shut the truck off , if may or may not leak, if I hit the height control button & raise it up , leave it overnight .. no leaks , try that or just get under the truck with a spray bottle of soapy water mix & spray the crease/roll & you should find the leak pretty easy

Old 09-30-2014, 09:47 AM

Thank you so much for the responses. It is greatly appreciated.

After reading here I also figured it was the airbags. But I took it to my local dealer and he checked them out. He said they look fine. No leaks. I will crawl under it and take a look for myself.

I just thought it strange that it only happens once every week or two. But it is driven everyday.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:49 PM

mine did the same thing, funny thing , I just bought an '06 a couple weeks ago, & when I was looking at it , I told the owner his air bags were leaking... he said no way & the dealer just bent him over for a 2k + bill for new dual compressor, , new air lines & sensors... well I actually fixed the problem with a $125 air bag.. that was the root of the problem, you will eventually burn up the compressor try to inflate defective air springs..

Old 09-30-2014, 06:19 PM

Is it hard to do the airbags myself. I'm not very mechanical.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:43 PM

No , it's easy, there's a couple you tube videos with step by step instructions , the hardest part is pulling the air line off

Old 09-30-2014, 06:48 PM

Ok. Thank you. I will look for the videos. How long should it take me to do both?

Old 10-04-2014, 11:07 AM

I wanted to bump this and update to hopefully get more advice....

I crawled under it this week. The airbags look fine. No cracks or anything.

The truck was driven last night until 10pm. Got up this morning at 6am and it looked fine. Looked out at 7am and the back was dragging.

So it sat all night and it was fine. Then within an hour it was sagging. And it only does this once a week or so.......

Old 10-04-2014, 09:53 PM

Perhaps your leak becomes more severe after a certain level of sag. So it starts out slow, and when the air bags reach a certain compression, the leak opens up and releases air at a faster rate. Next time, check for leaks when it's sagging.
If you get really fed up with your air suspension, it's also easy to convert to rear springs.

Quick Reply: Rear End Sag Mystery