PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

rear door auto lock issue

Old 09-29-2014, 04:27 AM
Default rear door auto lock issue

Ok, so I have an issue with my rear drivers side door exterior handle. It has been this way since I purchased the car. The handle seems to not close all the way... almost like it is binding, but I can then push the handle completely in with no problem.
Now that wouldnt be a big deal except if I dont push it all the way in and it is left out, it seems to not lock. Yes it is latched but when the grab handle is left out the 1/2 inch or what it may be when I close it without puching it in... the lock on that door wont work. If I push the handle in, everything is fine and it locks.
Other then the exterior handle sticking out a 1/2 inch, then if I push it in and then it will allow the door to lock... everything else about the door and the operation of it seems normal.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Old 09-29-2014, 04:36 AM

Sounds like a mechanical fault rather than anything else , remove the panel surrounding your inner door handle and inside there's two 10mm bolts . Remove them and you can pull the interior door dressing off its only held with plastic pop plugs . Then take a look at the mechanism , its possible something is jamming in there or maybe you need to replace a spring . If you do decide its a weak spring take the spring off and heat it until it glows red then drop it in cold water , that might be enough to return it to its original strength and will save you searching for a replacement .

Old 09-29-2014, 08:47 AM

I would try and lube it up real good with WD40 or similar first.