PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Radiator Warning!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by kdecoster1
Since I'm running the factory setup on my 2007 H2 and I have about 120k miles, I think I will do the external trans cooler. I would also like to change the radiator to a new one that doesn't have half of it used for cooling the trans fluid. I live in AZ and the more cooling the better.
I've read a lot this past week about Dex-cool and the corrosive properties. The plus side with Dex-cool is that it lasts longer (about 75k miles) than the conventional coolant (30k miles). You can change out the fluid, but you need to do a really good flush to get the dex-cool out. Then you need to change the coolant every 30k miles. There is also a possible class action lawsuit vs GM concerning the Dex-cool corrosion problems. You also need to wait until you are out of warranty to do it, as I'm sure it will void it if you change coolants.
It's my understanding the transmission cooler not really a coolant (Correct me if im wrong people smarter than I) it bring up the temp of the fluid to flow & lubricate the coponents inside

Old 01-26-2015, 07:17 AM
Banned
Default update!!,

Those small radiators in front of the radiator ended up being a auxiliary trans cooler in series with the in radiator trans cooler. The other was a power steering oil cooler. Didn't take chances and just installed a all aluminum radiator. A bit harder than your average Chevy because of the tilt forward hood but very easily doable.

Old 01-27-2015, 04:47 PM

So , in my case there is auxillary trans cooler, that is located outside, what I think, and no trans cooler inside main big radiator? Am I right, guys?

Old 01-27-2015, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by collega
So , in my case there is auxillary trans cooler, that is located outside, what I think, and no trans cooler inside main big radiator? Am I right, guys?
Sound about right you have one in the oem radiator that they caped off plugged up so if it breakes it does not ruin your radiator hence the external one in front

Old 01-27-2015, 11:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by collega
Yes I must agree. You have bypassed the radiator trans cooler if the lines go directly to the trans cooler in the front of the radiator. A dedicated cooler separate from the radiator. My new all aluminum radiator is built like a tank so im not too worried but i would much rather have your setup!

Old 01-28-2015, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by madmike
Yes I must agree. You have bypassed the radiator trans cooler if the lines go directly to the trans cooler in the front of the radiator. A dedicated cooler separate from the radiator. My new all aluminum radiator is built like a tank so im not too worried but i would much rather have your setup!
Where did you get your radiator?

Old 01-28-2015, 11:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mp51998
Ebay
(1 Row w/ EOC w/ TOC All Aluminum Radiator For GMC Hummer Yukon Yukon XL 1500)

Not sure if it is made in china but the welds and fit were amazing. Bolt off and bolt on.

Old 01-28-2015, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by mp51998
I don't know. This auxiliary trans cooler- radiator was installed by previous owner, what I think. And it's hard for me to find it out right now, unfortunately.
I will post some pics later on. In this case You, guys, can see and judge easier. But I heard that sometimes it could be originally manufactured by GM this way that trans cooler could be outside main big radiator or this small radiator could be addition to main one, located inside big radiator.

Last edited by collega; 01-28-2015 at 01:45 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:51 AM

Hello. I understand this thread hasn't had an update in 2 years but I am looking for some advice. My Hummer H3 had the radiator crack and mixed with the transmission and destroyed it - I had to have it completely rebuilt. As well as rebuilding, they added a separate trans cooler so it would never happen again. Now fast forward, my H2 radiator was leaking (it is at 140k miles) externally but not internally. Transmission is fine and I have a new radiator installed. However, to not have to go through the same nightmare I did with the H3, I was asking them about installing a separate trans cooler in my H2. After installing the new radiator and taking a look, they told me they would have to cut into the factory lines in order to add an external trans cooler and wanted me to confirm that I still wanted to move forward. Is there any downside to cutting into the factory lines? Obviously there is no warranty at this point and we're getting into custom work here. I really want to prevent having another transmission rebuilt but am not really sure what to do. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Old 02-13-2018, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by hummer_on_fumes
Is there any downside to cutting into the factory lines? Obviously there is no warranty at this point and we're getting into custom work here. I really want to prevent having another transmission rebuilt but am not really sure what to do. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Unless you did a whole myriad of connections the stock lines would need to be cut to route new lines to the external cooler.

Quick Reply: Radiator Warning!!!