PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator Warning!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 12:14 PM

So yesterday my new radiator went in. My new water pump as well (was leaking out of the weep hole or somewhere thereabouts) went in as well. I had a NAPA service center do the repairs as I just did not feel like messing around with all that coolant and mess. It was a pretty expensive day...but a bonus was that the parts & LABOR are covered for LIFE. That is a pretty good feeling that I never have to endure the cost of a radiator or water pump again! All-in-all, I guess it was worth it.

Heck ya I could have done it myself for half the cost, but I am getting to the age where I don't really enjoy doing some repairs....like radiators and water pumps...

Anyway feels good to have this done and I am ready for the next 100K miles!!!

Old 05-22-2014, 09:18 AM

As another bonus, it is nice to come out in the garage and see no drips/leaks on the floor coming from my H2. Nice!!!

Old 05-22-2014, 07:05 PM

It was time anyways. I replaced my water pump,thermostat and radiator at 100k also.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:53 PM

Im at 154k and its about time for me to do the radiator and im also doing the water pump and may replace the ac condenser too . Was thinking of replacing the stock radiator with a becool but that may be a bit too much ...

Old 06-04-2014, 07:07 PM
Default Final Conclusion

Well people made me currious so I cut open my failed radiator and here is what I found... I see no signs of corrosion on the failed transmission cooler
inside or out... There is a split about .08 inches long on the backside of the
cooler opposite the intake port which accepts the fluid from the transmission
pump... The case is slightly deformed outward which seems to suggest it is
simply a pressure over time situation and possibly impurities in the fluid that
broke the cooler and caused the problem... My conclusion is that the cooler
reached its designed service limit and supports my opinion that radiators should be changed between 80 and 100 thousand miles... Thanks for all the
replies and I hope no one else goes through this..... Cheers

Old 06-04-2014, 09:20 PM

Inputapmech, Thanks for starting this post. It was your story that FINALLY pushed me over the edge and convinced me to do it. I have not given my radiator/water pump a second thought since replacing them 2 weeks ago.

I love my H2 so damn much that it is worth it to me to do some preventative maintenance. I get more compliments than guys who just spent $55K on a brand new truck. Hummers H2s just have that "cult" following and everyone but the extreme tree huggers think they are cool. Freakin love my H2!

My mechanic also confirmed that it was the original radiator in my H2, so that simply confirms to me that it was a good idea to replace it. No regrets at all.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:28 PM
Default Thankyou

Thankyou Sir for your kind words.. My only desire was to raise awareness
of this costly problem and hopefully assist others in avoiding the thousands
of dollars this problems can cost as it did to me.. I love mine as well and wish you well........

Old 06-26-2014, 12:09 AM

My 2005 H2 has 120K miles on in and after some research I decided to change my radiator too. Did it myself. Wasn't too hard . . . I went slow. Took me about 3 hours but I saved a lot of money. Changed the two hoses while I was at it.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:41 AM

Nice work PaulB. Feels good knowing that is done!

Old 01-07-2015, 03:13 AM
Banned

Love this place. Doing research and one of my coworkers who has the same vehicle 03 h2, his radiator just exploded trans fluid all over the place. I got worried. I bought mine with 77K on the clock and noticed two small radiators in front of my main radiator. You guys just confirmed that I dont have to worry as the previous owner took care of this. I love my truck as well. Tried to get a personal plate TREEHGR but one of you Hummer Heads took it. ) Hummers Rock!

Quick Reply: Radiator Warning!!!