PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Purchasing a 2008 H2 Q and A..

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 05:35 PM
Question Purchasing a 2008 H2 Q and A..

I am looking into purchasing a 2008 H2. Not being familiar with the Hummer line, what are the pros and cons on this vehicle? I love the look of it, the all round comfort and interior. I was more concerned with the mechanical side...gas mileage, TSB's, recalls etc.

Old 12-05-2009, 07:32 PM

PROS
-VERY capable 4x4.
-Unique styling
-More comfortable ride that it should be...for its size and weight...LOL
-Lots of room inside
-Pretty reliable SUV
-Good towing
CONS
-This is a heavy vehicle and will wear parts accordingly (steering/suspension, brakes and transmission depending on how you drive it...)
-MPG? If this is a serious concern, look elsewhere. While other full-size SUVs get slightly better MPG (Tahoe 17-19 MPG vs H2 10-13 MPG), this class is not known for its frugal consuption of fuel!
-There was a transmission issue you should not have with the 2008..i think thats a six speed...NICE!

These have been pretty well "scienced out" as far as serious issues. There are rattles as it ages (again, its a big, heavy vehicle), but my 2006 with 22k miles is rattle free.

I understand the 2008 is much tighter and has a more powerful engine...and slightly better MPG.

Personally I wanted something different and I was willing to pay a little more for it (more fuel cost that is). Everyone around me that has a full-size SUV has a Tahoe/Suburban or Expedition...BORING. The H2 stands out. And I only drive 7k-8k a year...live close to work.

For me - BOTTOM LINE
If you can afford the fuel and love the H2, buy it. I don't feel you will be dissappointed.

Cheers,

PS. This is from a guy who seriously researched full-sized SUVS for a solid 6-7 months before buying my used H2. I am very pleased.

Last edited by easy610; 12-05-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:00 PM

Wellsy, I just traded my 2 wheel drive Yukon for a 2006 H2. I am very pleased with the comfort, capabilities, quality. I liked my Yukon, but the H2 is certainly less boring. The Hummer fuel mileage is only 2 mpg less that the Yukon. If you like the Hummer from afar, wait till you have it for keeps. Lots of fun.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:02 PM

Thanks for the reports guys...this one has the 3.7L inline 5 cylinder. Is the gas mileage still as heavy duty as the vehicle...? Everything is a plus so far, just need a few more questions to ask. I will be taking it out again on Monday.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by wellsy
Thanks for the reports guys...this one has the 3.7L inline 5 cylinder. Is the gas mileage still as heavy duty as the vehicle...? Everything is a plus so far, just need a few more questions to ask. I will be taking it out again on Monday.
That's an H3...not an H2.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:51 AM

No...it's an H2

Old 12-06-2009, 10:31 AM

I will rephrase that last answer...since I am a newbie to Hummers...
The salesman said it was an H2. I never checked the badge mind you.
I looked under the hood and it had the 3.7L Vortec. What is the difference between the H2 and H3 then?

Old 12-06-2009, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by wellsy
I will rephrase that last answer...since I am a newbie to Hummers...
The salesman said it was an H2. I never checked the badge mind you.
I looked under the hood and it had the 3.7L Vortec. What is the difference between the H2 and H3 then?
H2 is significantly larger proportions, engine, luxury features, etc.

H3s only have 3.5L Vortec, 3.7L Vortecs, and 5.3L V8s.

H2s only have 6.0L or 6.2L V8s.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:32 PM

Definitely NOT an H2. Never came with that engine. Nice the salesman doesn't know what he's trying to sell you...or he's BS'ing you BAD.

H2 new runs $60-65K...or more...
H3 new runs $30-40K.

Apples and oranges....

Old 12-07-2009, 08:56 AM

Thanks again for the answers and straightening me out ...I think I may have had it wrong, not the salesman. I did take a few out that day.
I like the look of the Hummer, but not the fuel consumption or what I perceived to be the price. This "H3" has 27,000 miles, one owner, bought in 2007, but it is a 2008. White with chrome exterior parts...the interior is all leather and tons of bells and whistles. The whole package is in perfect condition, and drives real well. I also liked the 3.7L for better gas mileage, but crap is it a torqey little engine...lots of power. Being it is a 2008, they were asking 31,500 (Can$). At this point we may have a deal at 26,500.00. Does this sound fair? Any possible hidden problems I may point to before I get it mechanically checked out?
Thanks again everyone...

Quick Reply: Purchasing a 2008 H2 Q and A..