PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Polished H2 roof rack bars or black?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 03:22 PM
Default Polished H2 roof rack bars or black?

Like my previous '05 SUT, my '08 SUV roof rack bars are weathered. Has anyone polished these to a chrome-like shine? How do they look? I was also considering painting them black. Anyone have any pics with the bars in black or "chrome"?

Old 02-24-2013, 10:12 PM

I was thinking about using vinyl wrap on mine.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by jaydelriotx
I was thinking about using vinyl wrap on mine.
Hmmm, not sure how easy it would be to apply it without bubbles. If you decide to go that route, let us know how it looks and how well it worked.

I have not done anything to mine yet, but hope to try polishing them first and see how long that lasts ... probably not long at all though.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:27 PM

At first I painted the stock rails with plasti-dip spray paint. I removed the rubber strip on top and the black plastic side mounts and only painted over the silver. Looked really good up until I put some kayaks on top of them and it caused the paint on the top to peel off.

So I got annoyed with them and built my own cross bars.

Ross

Attached Thumbnails Polished H2 roof rack bars or black?-resized3.jpg   Polished H2 roof rack bars or black?-resized4.jpg  
Old 02-25-2013, 03:56 PM

I would powder coating. should cost about $50 for both

Old 02-25-2013, 07:52 PM

powder would get my vote if i was going to try to get them black. i think they would look good if they were a gloss black up top.

I am planning to try to polish mine up a bit to add a bit on mine. I wouldnt make them so shiny they look chrome but cleaning the oxidation off of them would make them look better imo at least. from a distance they look alright either way but once you get up close they start to look dull. at least mine are way up so its hard to see them once you start to get close.

just my .02 though,
steve

Old 02-26-2013, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by H2Miami
I would powder coating. should cost about $50 for both
Originally Posted by honda400ex2003
powder would get my vote if i was going to try to get them black. i think they would look good if they were a gloss black up top.

I am planning to try to polish mine up a bit to add a bit on mine. I wouldnt make them so shiny they look chrome but cleaning the oxidation off of them would make them look better imo at least. from a distance they look alright either way but once you get up close they start to look dull. at least mine are way up so its hard to see them once you start to get close.

just my .02 though,
steve
If the polishing is not successful, powder coating them black was another thought or I will just remove them like I did with the roof rack on my previous '05 VR SUT.

I don't suppose anyone would have some photos of black bars on an SUV ... would they?

Old 02-26-2013, 07:56 AM

I wouldn't remove mine . When I see Hummers without the roof bars, they looks like something is missed .imo . Those bars are part of the truck as the fenders, hood or bumpers . The whole package is what make it like nothing else

Old 02-27-2013, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by H2Miami
I wouldn't remove mine . When I see Hummers without the roof bars, they looks like something is missed .imo . Those bars are part of the truck as the fenders, hood or bumpers . The whole package is what make it like nothing else
Actually, I view the roof racks as more of an accessory like the rear mounted spare tire ... that's just my opinion.

The rear mounted spare affords me much more cargo room so I get use out of the benefits of having one. I get no use out of the roof racks.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by BrianSF-GA
Actually, I view the roof racks as more of an accessory like the rear mounted spare tire ... that's just my opinion.

The rear mounted spare affords me much more cargo room so I get use out of the benefits of having one. I get no use out of the roof racks.
Its pretty useful around christmas time,to transport the tree without getting your interior dirty, or if your borrowing a ladder, thats all ive used it for..ha! But I was thinking about buying a kayak and transporting it up there

Quick Reply: Polished H2 roof rack bars or black?