PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Please help, my H2 is making a noise i can't identify

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 03:51 PM
Default Broken bolt in manifold

I've bought an H2, that does a noise, and I can't identify where it's coming from. It has done this noise since I've bought it, I've made probably 200miles on it since that day, and there is no engine light on.

I've changed the oil, spark plugs, and spark plug wires on it.

I've made a video, so you can try and identify from where it's coming from, as I don't know much about mechanics.

IMG 0519 - YouTube

as you can hear, it's a clicking noise, it goes quicker if I press the gas pedal, although i didn't do it in the video.
It seems to come from the left side of the engine (as sitting on the driver's seat).

Like I said, I don't know much about mechanics, but maybe someone recognizes this type of noise, and can tell me what can be the cause.

Thanks

Last edited by Cashville; 11-01-2011 at 07:35 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:56 PM

Sounds like an Exhaust leak from the manafold (check you bolts holding your manafold to the engine, they have been times the heads of the bolts have broken off in the block) or the Doughnut that holds the Exhaust pipe flange to the manafold could be split and thats the sound you here.......

you have a left and right Exhaust manafold and pipe going into a tee, to a cadalick converter, to a muffler, to the single pipe going out the back on any stock H2 Engine V8

hope this helps.............Rick

Old 10-31-2011, 08:15 PM

Very likely a cracked exhaust manifold or broken bolts on the manifold. Most early H2's seem to have this problem. You can check by looking closely at both sides - you might have to take off the heat shield to get a better look. Hope this helps. Cheers.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:31 PM

I also forgot to add, that after about 2 minutes, the sound starts to be less noticeable..
I don't know if that helps identify if it's a leak on the manifold, or if it's broken bolts.
I will try to check tomorrow, because I don't have the hummer here...

Old 11-01-2011, 03:33 AM

if the sound decreases as the engine warms up then you have broken exhaust manifold bolts. Do a search on this forum for some good info on repair. Ain't easy....my 2004 was fixed under warranty and they had to pull the heads to drill out broken bolts. But some guys have lucked out and were able to remove the bolts with visegrips or welding a nut to the broken bolt to get it out. It's best to replace all of the bolts with a better grade or more of them will probably break off later on

Old 11-01-2011, 01:50 PM

get a broom handle, stick one end on various spots of the motor and physicall stick the other end in your ear. You can pinoint pretty damn good where a sound is coming from that way.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:27 PM

thanks for all the replys.

I've found out that a bolt has broken off, here is a picture:

the h2 has a lot of rust as you can see.

Like one of you said, I've also seen a video of a guy welding a nut, and then taking the broken bolt off.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:50 PM

judging by the rust on the headers, would I be better off buying a new set of headers, gaskets, and stronger bolts?

Old 11-01-2011, 06:35 PM

You will have to take the exhaust manifold off anyways to get the broken bolt out, so you might as well get headers...the stock manifold is very prone to cracking....if it hasn't cracked till now, then it very well might develop a crack in the future and you have to redo the whole procedure. Good luck with it. Cheers.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:23 PM

is there any temporary fix on this?
I'd like to change the headers but I would have to order them from the USA, and that will take some time to arrive, and also right now I'm not that $available$ ahaha

removing the broken bolt with the manifold on, should be almost impossible, right? If I could do this, I could just screw another bolt in that place, until I can get new headers to put in, and hopefully get rid of the ticking noise...

Last edited by Cashville; 11-01-2011 at 07:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Please help, my H2 is making a noise i can't identify