PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

A pillar rattle on highway

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 10:19 AM
Default A pillar rattle on highway

I tried searching for it but no luck. Above 40mph, I get a rattle noise around the passenger side a pillar. Anyone know what it is or how to fix it?

Old 05-02-2008, 10:35 AM
Default RE: A pillar rattle on highway

take off the outer moulding (2 screws) and put some thick double sided tape on it, then put it back. should resolve your issue

Old 05-02-2008, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

I had a popping/rattling noise from my windshield at both front windshield pillars. Turned out to be an improper windshield installation. They reinstalled my windshield for free. I think there was a TSB on it. Not sure what your noise is but if Shorty's suggestion doesn't take care of it you might check into the windshield installation.

Old 05-03-2008, 07:19 AM

I ran a bead of black silicone down the side of the plastic trim and the windshield. It worked perfectly.

Old 05-03-2008, 02:08 PM

thanks for the replies. When I get back into town I'll the double sided tape solution. I wasn't sure if the noise was from the plastic outside tapping the windshield or from the dash or the a pillar.
thanks again

Old 05-03-2008, 11:17 PM

if your sound i a knocking noise and it sounds like it is coming from the right side of the dash, it will most likely be the right upper clearance light. that would be the bigger square light on the roof at the front edge of the roof rail. when these get loose they knock back and forth causing a knocking noise that travels down the hollow A beam and the sound exits at the floor level. it starts the knocking noisr at about 40 mph.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:59 AM

I had the same problem.I took off the black outer A pillars and used RTV and put them back on. No more problems.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:02 PM

i agree it could be either of them. i just posted the other option. i have been doing both for years but the marker light is one that took me two days to find and the windshield side moldings had already been done. the windshield side moldings normally start making noise around 60mph and the clearance light starts making noise at around 40mph which he posted was around the speed he was hearing the noise. as a certified mechanic this is just my opinion. i did not mean to upset anyone.

Old 05-06-2008, 04:08 PM

Hummech,

Dont worry man you did not offend anyone at all. In fact As a Hummer Mechanic we are very glad to have someone like you on the site. Now we will be sure to thoroughly take complete advantage of you!

Eric

Old 05-06-2008, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

Didn't see anything that made me thing anyone had an issue with it and even if they did I would listen to you first anyway. Who has more experience when it comes to solving Hummer issues?

Quick Reply: A pillar rattle on highway