PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Paint Job

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 02:43 PM
Default New Paint Job

Hey guys been a while since I owned a Hummer. Back in with a 08 H2. I bought it to customize it . What should I expect to pay for a matte black paint job on it? Just wondering what I should expect. Cheers .

Old 06-19-2019, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by lmazzola
Hey guys been a while since I owned a Hummer. Back in with a 08 H2. I bought it to customize it . What should I expect to pay for a matte black paint job on it? Just wondering what I should expect. Cheers .
If you're going matte black, maybe consider a vinyl wrap as well, they are much cheaper than a paint job

Old 06-19-2019, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by hummer_on_fumes
If you're going matte black, maybe consider a vinyl wrap as well, they are much cheaper than a paint job
And you can return it to the original colour without damage should you decide to sell it down the road. Which will increase your market of buyers. I almost bought a matt black h2 when i was looking. My cj is matt black so i thought about matching them. One thin g i can tell you though is that the matt black h2 wouldnt sell. I watched it for sale for 2years and It was in great shape and priced well.

I also know matt black paint jobs are more expensive than just a regular base clear. I painted my cj in my garage after building a temporary booth using John Deere " blitz black". It is what all the old hot rodders used and John Deere used it on the frames of their tractors. I saw testimonials 9f guys saying their tractor had been left outside for 30 years and still no rust. It has held up on my jeep for 8years great. I know you wouldnt cheap out on an 08 h2 but just food for thought.

I was quoted $4000 for a same colour base clear job a couple years back. That was with me stripping the truck and doing some prep work.

Old 06-19-2019, 06:07 PM

There is a catch for a vinyl wrap..... I know because that is what I do for a living every day. I own a sign company (17 years) and we do a ton of wraps. When new a wrap protects and preserves the paint. If the wrap is removed while it is in good condition all will be fine. If the wrap is allowed to degrade, start cracking, left on for way too long then instead it starts to permanently damage the paint underneath. Seen it a hundred times.... Also the installer can easily screw the paint up too if they are not very good. They will be leaving cuts in the paint when trimming some of the vinyl on the vehicle. Also if the factory paint is not sound or it has ever had any paint or bodywork done there is a rick that removal of the wrap will pull some of the paint off with it. Lastly there is a very big difference in the quality of various brands of vinyl used for wraps. You very much get what you pay for. I tell potential customers that if price is your bottom line, we are not the best shop for you. I refuse to sell and install the cheap materials for good reason. Spend a few more and put on the best 3M, Avery, or Oracal vinyl. Will last longer, look better, and remove a lot cleaner.

Also a wrap is not cheap. A full wrap from us for an H2, about $3500. Then again a good quality basecoat/clearcoat paint job, done RIGHT with good paint will be at least double that.

Also matte wraps are a bit different to care for. You cannot just wax it with a good synthetic wax as that will tend to make it shiny. There are a couple of special waxes specifically for matte vinyl though. They are pricey. Finally matte black will have about the shortest life for a wrap as it just absorbs UV like crazy due to the color and matte finish.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:12 PM

Matte black was really cool 7 years ago! Now not so much? It’s yours so do want you want. Wrap is a great idea because it’s not permanent. I like gloss black myself and you put it next to matte black and tell me which one shows better?

Old 06-21-2019, 12:09 AM

Just spray it with primer......BAM matte black lol