PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New muffler

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 10:21 PM
Default New muffler

My OEM muffler has a small hole in it and is starting to make noise. The only 2 pipes in and 2 pipes out mufflers I’m seeing available is the Flowmaster. I don’t want any growls, or loudness coming from the muffler. Anyone have any experience on a quiet muffler replacement?

Old 06-08-2019, 12:29 AM

I've used Flowmaster products on previous H2's w/ great success - I wouldn't hesitate to try it.

Old 06-08-2019, 07:58 AM

The Flowmaster big block 50 series will fit with very little modification (just a tiny bit of pipe work) but it is a lot louder than stock and will introduce a bit of drone inside.

I'm not sure there if there as an exact direct fit replacement but I'm sure one of oem grade HD truck mufflers would likely be a close match and quiet like the stock one. Pretty much any of the "performance" brand ones like Flowmaster, Gibson, Borla, etc, etc will be quite a bit louder than a stock type replacement.

What you might need to do is get the dimensions of the casing, size of the pipes in and pipes out, and contact one of the manufacturers who make stock replacements to see if they can cross reference by size.

Old 06-08-2019, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
The Flowmaster big block 50 series will fit with very little modification (just a tiny bit of pipe work) but it is a lot louder than stock and will introduce a bit of drone inside.

I'm not sure there if there as an exact direct fit replacement but I'm sure one of oem grade HD truck mufflers would likely be a close match and quiet like the stock one. Pretty much any of the "performance" brand ones like Flowmaster, Gibson, Borla, etc, etc will be quite a bit louder than a stock type replacement.

What you might need to do is get the dimensions of the casing, size of the pipes in and pipes out, and contact one of the manufacturers who make stock replacements to see if they can cross reference by size.
You may be right. I’m finding it so hard to find a direct fit that is quiet like stock. Did you install those steps yet?

Old 06-09-2019, 09:18 AM

Yes actually I did. Knocked all the loose paint off and gave them a quick spray with some rattle can bedliner stuff first. They looks great! Thanks.

Old 06-12-2019, 10:07 AM

I used a large can Magnaflow, and it fits perfectly in the stock location. It sounds awesome. Quiet under normal driving, but very throaty under load, and NO DRONE. I don't have the part number, but I know it exists.

Old 06-12-2019, 02:51 PM

I have my stock muffler in storage, I bet you should be able to find a take off muffler somewhere since a lot of them were replaced with cat back systems.

Old 06-12-2019, 03:11 PM

Pacific Motors has one but no telling on that one. Looks old but well, it is old. Kinda crusty around the edges. They show it from a 2004 H2. https://www.pacificmotors.com/auto-p...v-sut-2003-06/

There are several on eBay too. Pricey with high shipping though as they all are basically the entire rear section. GM lists the muffler as the entire rear exhaust section, not just the muffler by itself. It is also still available brand new but not cheap... https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-pa...ffler-10398386

Old 06-12-2019, 05:29 PM

maybe contact the duramax guy he is building a conversion H2. he used an aftermarket exhaust on the diesel build. probably has no use for the OEM muffler.

Old 06-13-2019, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by calif phil
I have my stock muffler in storage, I bet you should be able to find a take off muffler somewhere since a lot of them were replaced with cat back systems.
I just ended up buying a Walker. It supposed to be quiet. We will see.

Quick Reply: New muffler