PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New H2 for Xmas... Need Help.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 10:11 AM
Default New H2 for Xmas... Need Help.

I bought my son a 2004 H2 for Christmas. He is 16. This is his first car. He loves it. It is nearly new condition. It is a 2004 with only 24k miles on it.

I need a little advice with a few issues.....

The air compressor comes on every 5 or 10 minutes. My guess is the air shocks are leaking. Should I replace them or what is the fix? What is the cost?

There is a hum or whine coming from the passengers side rear speaker. Back in the cargo area. It gets higher and lower with the engine RPM. It almost sounds like it has a turbo. Lol. It has an aftermarket amp under the seat. Does this sound like a speaker problem or amp problem? What is the fix?

It also needs a new battery but that should be pretty basic.

I am also thinking in the future I may want a 2 seat bench in the back instead of the 1 seat. The spare is located outside. Are these seats available? Is it easy to install? Cost?

Thanks guys. I appreciate the help.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:27 AM

yes you probably have leaky bags and/or lines

The bags are about $600 to replace if you have that done.
Alternative is replacing with coils (a little cheaper)
I had the bags replaced since I like the air suspension.

The whine could be the amp. Also with the amp under the back seat you can not fold the seats flat anymore. I think the system sounds great already without an amp.

3rd row seat is possible but you will need additional ancors to hold the seat in place. 3rd row is pretty expensive too. Around $1800 or so.

They were made for the 08/09 hummers.
5 chicks in his hummer not enough company? haha

Old 12-26-2012, 02:15 PM

If I take it to my local Chevy dealer they should be able to easily diagnose the leak and replace the air bags? Would I be better of taking it to a specialty shop.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:11 PM

It has been sitting for about 2 hours now. The rear has a slight sag in it. Is that normal? How long should the air bags hold air?

Old 12-26-2012, 07:18 PM

The bags should hold indefinatly. When my truck is running It will sometimes release air depending how the truck is sitting. (Like it's supppost to) Sounds like a hissing sound. That is normal. You should be able to diagnose the leak pretty easy by laying under the truck. Everything is pretty much visable. The compressor and the lines. Let it run (in park!) and spray some glass cleaner on the lines and fittings. I had one rub a hole on the drivers side. Pretty easy fix. Just cut the bad spot out and spliced in a new piece. Its 1/4 inch plastic air line. Most hardware stores sell the fittings and line. That is if its a line. If its a bag it will most likely be dry rotted which you should be able to see. Spray the glass cleaner on everything you'll find the leak.

Or pay someone else $100's to possibly a grand to fix. Just me, I'd rather do it myself

Old 12-26-2012, 08:32 PM

Damm wish I had a hummer when I was 16.... atleast I got them back then!

Old 12-26-2012, 11:12 PM

Caraddict... I was thinking the same thing! Rhinomike, If you're ever looking to adopt a 49 Y/O son in Colorado, I could use a Duramax 6,6 turbo conversion :-) Just kidding, but that is one heck of a present for you son, especially at 16. Must be a great kid!

Old 12-27-2012, 08:27 AM

Any independent shop can replace them in about two hours. It is an easy job

Old 12-27-2012, 09:48 AM

Thanks for the help guys.

Yes he is a good kid. All a's since he started school. A 4.2 gpa in high school. All honors and AP classes. And he plays high school soccer and baseball. He is a busy kid. I have 4 boys and they are all the same way. None of them have ever been in trouble. Not even a detention since they started school.

I dropped out in tenth grade but education is very, very important to me.

Now I have been very lucky in life. I am 38 years old. I sold my factory when I was 32 and retired. Me and my wife have plenty of time to raise our boys. I think that is key but I know others are not as lucky or fortunate as we are.

My oldest also got a 2013 Civic for Christmas. I couldn't talk him into getting a Hummer. Lol.

As you can tell I am a proud daddy.

Thanks again guys. I really appreciate the help. I will post pics of the Hummer shortly.

Old 12-27-2012, 04:43 PM

I just bought my replacement air shocks for $369.99 on eBay. Let me know if you want the listing.

Quick Reply: New H2 for Xmas... Need Help.