PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Need the GURUs - Starting issues and gas smell

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 04:21 PM
Default Need the GURUs - Starting issues and gas smell

Hey all,
As the subject line stated, I am having some issues.
I have used my Torque and ELM327 to read if there are any codes and none seem to pop up.

The problem has been going on for the last week or so. Here are what I have found out and done so far:

1) Originally the truck started without issue, but the idle would cycle 800-1000-800-1000.... but if I pushed on the gas it went away and didnt come back.

2) The truck started to cycle the starter longer or harder then it normally should. I would turn the key and the truck would try to start with the starter turning but then finally it would start.

3) The long cycling starter become one that it would cycle until the truck would stop it from cycling from not starting. Then as soon as I turned the key engine it would start right up.

So I pulled apart the intake and used CRC throttle body cleaner and a tooth brush to get the carbon off the butterfly and around the opening.
Seemed to be ok for a start or two, but then it was back to the same thing again. The difference is this time I dont see the engine rev cycling anymore. So I went and grabbed 3 bottles of seafoam and ran it through the tank. Never saw any smoke out the rear and I ran the engine hard.

After all that I am seeing that it is still having a hard time starting, cycling the starter once then it turning off and then on the second attempt to start it... finally starting.

There is a new issue also that popped up just in the last few days, I am smelling a heavy gas smell. It is only there briefly when I come to a stop. I dont see anything on the ground to indicate a leak

So I am wondering what you guys might think

Thanks in advance

Old 08-13-2013, 07:34 PM

Check your battery, Then the fuel pressure...Last smoke machine it...

Last edited by Caraddict; 08-13-2013 at 07:39 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:27 AM

caraddict,
not sure what you mean?

i could see if maybe the battery was loose it might not have the juice to turn it over, but it does turn over.

as for checking the fuel pressure.... yes i will need to do that

then you stated smoke machine it??
what is that?

plus remember the big issue is the gas smell. I think because of the gas smell/leak that this is why i am having issues starting

thanks for the help. keep it coming

Old 08-17-2013, 09:08 AM

im guessing fuel leak is gas smell and start issue, just enough of a leak not to drip but maybe follow the line its leaking from and maybe drip a bit on frame, this could be enough to drain the fuel line so that the pump has to refill the line to the engine each time you go to start it, that's why it cranks longer before it fires up, just had same exact issue on Tahoe and leak was a rusted line up in fram rail and was very hard to see/find

Old 10-27-2013, 07:34 AM
Banned
Default same problem here minus the gas smell.

I watch this mechanic on Ytube named Scotty Kilmer. Apparently been wrenching for a while. he has a vid regarding GM vortex v8s leaking gas at startup through I believe the pressure regulator. It is located on the drivers side top of the intake. As for the hard start, I am having the same issues. No codes usually means something outside the code parameter as mechanical. I had recently added some fuel cleaner so I will be changing out my fuel filter. it may be plugged stopping fuel flow. Recent new fuel pump so im sure thats not the problem. Let us know what you find out.