PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

My hummer will not start (Ignition Problem) help

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 04:52 AM
Default My hummer will not start (Ignition Problem) help

Hi

I am now facing a severe problem and need all the help i can get. A couple of weeks back as i was driving my H2 the ignition fuse blew, the steering wheel became stiff and i had to pullover and stop my car. At first i did not know what was going on until i opened the fuse box and saw the 40 amp IGN fuse blown. I replaced it and the car started up perfectly.

A week later i had the same event happen to me, the cars ignition fuse has blown for a second time as i was driving for not apparent reason. (1 week after the first incident)

This time i changed the 40 amp fuse with another one and still when i turn the ignition ON the fuse blows leaving my car immobilised. ( I tried this procedure 3 time with the same result at the end being a fuse blown) I do not know where the problem is and why it is doing this.

A car electrian asked for an electronics schematics of the car since he did not know what caused the Ignition fuse to blow all the time. I do not have the schematics.

Do you have any insights to this problem ?

Old 07-09-2010, 06:14 PM
Default need more info

with out changing the 40 amp fuse ,do you have any check engine lights , you might have codes that will help . the key switch
runs on the 10amp fuse the 40 should be for the engine coils , injectors or wiring . you might have a coil burned out . if the fuse blows right away you can unplug one component at a time ,or ohm check it with a meter .
would need more info ,but a good tec with a meter can stack it down . mike

Old 07-12-2010, 10:15 AM
Default Further investigation

Thanks for the reply bosch,

First of all to answer your questions.
1. No i do not get any check engine lights before i change the 40 amp fuse.
2. You told me that if the fuse burns right away (which it does) i can unplug one component at a time. (Which components are you talking about) and also (What do you recommend i OHM check ???)
I have Uploaded a few pictures on my website so you can see what is going on.

These are the steps that i am taking:

When i put the key in the ignition and i turn it once or even twice ( TO START THE CAR )this is the actual view of my dashboard.
DASHBOARD

The ignition fuse blows as soon as i turn the key either on 1st position or 2nd position. It looks like this:
FUSE or FUSE CLOSEUP

I now do a random check to see where the short is (cannot find it) and remove the iGNITION fuse
REMOVING THE FUSE

I am also attaching the Fuse Diagram if it is needed
DIAGRAM

i hope this helps a bit. please let me know if you need any additional information

Old 07-14-2010, 07:35 PM
Default help i hope

ok the first thing that i was talking about (ohming )would be to leave the fuse out
on the non power side of the fuse ,ohm the connection to ground , if you have a short it will show up , this way you can check the problem out without replacing fuses .if the engine is turning over when it blows or if it blows just turning the key before it startes to crank . the first place i would check would be the ignition switch , i would check both sides to ground .ohming . that way you can isolate if the short is between the fuse holder threw the key switch to the ignition switch , or is it after it .
this test will tell you . also the ign switch could be shoring out ?
i would remove the wiring connector from the ignition switch and meter each wire so you know whitch wire has the short .need this info before moving forward ..mike hope this helps

Old 01-02-2016, 12:45 PM

I have a similar issue, the fuse #a doesn't blow until I try to crank the vehicle though, I can turn the ignition to the 1st position and hear all the accessories turn on. As soon as I try to start the vehicle it will pop the fuse. Any ideas on where to start ?

Last edited by yellow04; 01-02-2016 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-02-2016, 03:17 PM

A close visual inspection of the wiring will be a good place to start. I would look for wire chaffing/shorted to ground. Start around the battery fuse box area and also take a look by the starter solenoid. A major short like that should not be to difficult to find.