PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mod's to Tighten up Steering...Too Loose and Sloppy

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 07:31 AM
Default Mod's to Tighten up Steering...Too Loose and Sloppy

I have a 2003 H2 with only 16,000 California miles, but the steering feels too loose and sloppy from side to side and it feels like I have to move the steering wheel a lot to just keep her going straight. It feels like the steering wheel has to move too far for what little steering correction occurs, if you know what I mean? I realize that the H2 may need to have some front end work done like tie rods, ball joints, etc... While OEM is always an option, what are better aftermarket options for better, heavy duty parts? Are there some steering mods that can be done? I noticed that there are some H3 steering rack mods from Outfitter Design that effectively takes out all of the play in the H3 steering...are there any for the H2? Having owned an H3, I loved the feel of that steering and felt it was tight and great right off the assembly line. I feel that my H2 feels like it has the steering of an old pickup truck...so loose and sloppy. Can I get this steering to feel more like the H3's great steering? Please help.
Rob

Old 03-12-2016, 10:37 AM

Unless you are wheeling it, and probably even if you are, I think you'll be fine with OEM. My reaction to driving one the first time was something along the lines of "this thing drives far better than a truck this big should be able to." When in proper working order, these definitely do not have steering like an old pickup truck.

There is a heavy duty tie rod kit you can buy, but other than that I'm not aware of any other bolt on mods/upgrades. Obviously there are lift kits that may replace parts or things like shocks/springs/steering stabilizers, but it doesn't sound like that's what you're after.

I do occasionally wheel mine, and my family has adopted it as a tow vehicle, so I'd love for someone else to chime in with additional upgrade options. I'm actually in need of taking mine in - it has developed a slight clunk when going from forward cranked one way to reverse cranked the other (ie backing into my driveway), and the steering wheel is slightly off center.

Old 03-12-2016, 06:42 PM

Hey Skeptic,

You mentioned a heavy duty tie rod kit that I can buy... Is that a GM part or another after market deal? If so, who sells them?
The steering on my H2 is definitely looser than my H3 steering. Anyone know of any kits to fix this?

Old 03-12-2016, 10:05 PM

Just go to a good shop or dealership and they can fix up the loose steering. Probably just worn out parts and such. I don't think the HD tie rod kit will make the steering feel different, it's just stronger parts and different type of joint. I don't know the cheapest place, but TeakaToys has them:

Heavy Duty Tie Rod Steering Kit, for factory spindle/knuckle, (2001-Present 8-Lug truck,SUV, and H2) by Cognito

Old 03-13-2016, 08:22 PM

Check the steering damper
Also the pitman

I would jack it up and try to find the problem before going the dealer .

Mine improved a lot when the damper was replaced. Cost 80ish and 10 min work

Old 03-13-2016, 11:25 PM

How do you tell if the damper needs replaced?

Old 03-14-2016, 07:56 AM

Look for leaks , should be dry .
Check the shocks too. I also replace them and the handling was improved

Old 03-14-2016, 09:42 PM

If you can have someone just rock the steering wheel back and forth in the loose zone until it gets just a little harder to reach.

Then you lay underneath the H2 and find where the steering shaft comes into the steering gearbox.

What you are looking for is if the steering shaft is moving, but not the pitman arm which comes out of the steering box.

If this is the case, you can tighten up the steering box.

There is an allen bolt on top with a nut.
Loosen the nut, and tighten the allen until it feels snug, then back it off 1/4 off a turn.
Now tighten the nut back up, and recheck again.

Hopefully that is the culprit and it doens't cost you anything but a few beers for your buddy to rock the steering wheel for you

Old 03-15-2016, 07:54 AM

Rare Parts is the name of a company that sells some nice heavy duty tie rod ends.

Old 03-15-2016, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by calif phil
Rare Parts is the name of a company that sells some nice heavy duty tie rod ends.
And pitman and idler arms to!

Quick Reply: Mod's to Tighten up Steering...Too Loose and Sloppy