PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to graduate to an H2

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 04:33 PM
Default Looking to graduate to an H2

I purchased an H3 back in 2009 and now looking for an H2. Everything is getting bigger, the kids, our toys, the amount of **** we pack on vacations, my gut... you get the picture.

What things should I pay special attention when looking over an H2?

Someone mentioned the rear air bag suspension.

Anything else?

Thanx in advanced.

Old 06-13-2018, 06:41 PM

As long as you take care to replace the air bags when they are worn out the air suspension is great in my opinion. Better ride and massively better if you are towing something. Yes the air bags will eventually wear out, so will your shocks. Big deal, they not very expensive nor very hard to replace. The compressor on the other hand is expensive if that dies though. You also get a handy air hose and valve in the back if you have it, you can press a button on the dash and the rear raises up a couple of inches too.

Just like any vehicles though - history and has it been maintained. 08/09 models will cost more but are newer, have a bit more power, a stronger transmission, and currently less expensive parts. Test drive, READ how to properly actuate the 4WD functions and test all work. Feel for dampness in the carpet in the floors and rear (roof leaks are common).

Old 06-13-2018, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by White Wolf
I purchased an H3 back in 2009 and now looking for an H2. Everything is getting bigger, the kids, our toys, the amount of **** we pack on vacations, my gut... you get the picture.

What things should I pay special attention when looking over an H2?

Someone mentioned the rear air bag suspension.

Anything else?

Thanx in advanced.
I sold my H3 (had it for 6 years), bought a commuter car and an H2. I love my H2 and I feel it's superior to the H3 in every way. You're making the right choice.

Old 06-14-2018, 09:02 AM

Mixman is right on. I pretty much did what he said when I bought mine in December. The only thing I would add is there are plenty of H2s that after a quick inspection will show that they have been used off-road or have had a rough life. Stay away from those and find a garage queen. It took me a little while to find mine but I believe it was worth the wait. Don't be scare of mileage especially if you can see it is in mind condition.
Regarding the leaks, the one I bought was kept in a garage but still had water marks in the A pillar. I still bought it as it was the right one in my eyes. If you are a bit handy, this forum is a wealth of info with guys that are willing to help.
Post some pics when you get it.

Old 06-14-2018, 01:34 PM

I rather standard shocks which last longer and gave me more choice to replace, air suspension is not my fav due the maintenance requiered . I agree is a better ride
But I wont base a purchase based on that fact .
Air or shocks wont be a breaker deal

However on another hand . Miles . Transmission. Engine and of course the whole look of the ride

Be conscious H2 tranny is a little weak . A truck over 100k miles with little transm maintenance may be ready for a rebuilt one
Engines are strong but oil seals and gaskets may be a weak link . Check for oil leaks , mostly between tranny and engine

If you want to go deeper (recommended) Learn how to do a compression test and a vacuum test using a simple tool such as torque app .
A healthy engine will have a healthy vacuum

Test all the 4x4 settings , like mixman said get to know how to before using the transfer case
Water leaks . 99 % is a dirty channel on the sunroof or corner lights

Once you got it I recommend as one of the first thing the tranny external aftermarket cooler .
Depending on truck year and miles replace fluids (TC , diff, egine oil and tranns)
Also replace spark plugs and wires .

Be ready to be amazed with this trucks performance
(Rain,mud,snow,hyw, water) anything you can throw to it

Old 06-17-2018, 11:15 AM

I've never ridden in a 2 with rear air suspension but I cruise over the AZ desert going 40-50mph and it's smooth as butta! I agree that I would not want the maintenance of the rear air suspension, sensors, compressor, etc. I think it's an awesome feature and I think it would be fun to have but the price of the compressors now are absolutely robbery.

Old 06-23-2018, 07:55 AM

I have had an 03 with the air suspension and now my 06 without the air. I can't tell any difference in ride quality. I think the garage queen H2 is good advice. The closer they are to stock condition the better.

Old 06-23-2018, 08:45 AM

Brake lines, if the H2 has ever spent much time where it snows and they salt the roads then you could have corrosion that makes them weak and leak. Many of us have replaced ours with either NiCopp or stainless lines.

Old 06-23-2018, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by NoSpoon
Brake lines, if the H2 has ever spent much time where it snows and they salt the roads then you could have corrosion that makes them weak and leak. Many of us have replaced ours with either NiCopp or stainless lines.
Mine blew out this winter as i was approaching a t intersection at 90 km/ hr. It was a scary ride as i took the ditch to save a families lives in a Corolla. Originally i thought it was the worst black ice id ever experienced. When i went through the ditch i just kept her rolling and drove back onto the road. As i was reflecting on how crazy that just was. I came to the next intersection. Thats when i realized i had no brakes.

Replaced with Ni copp.

Other things to look for:

Cracked door panels- by the rear of handle and map pockets

Rear license plate holder- ive repaired mine about 5 times already

Mirrors- check they function properly

Climate control- functions properly