PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking for first hummer h2

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 03:36 PM
Default looking for first hummer h2

hello im currently shopping for my first h2, have decided that since my tahoe gets 11mpg i might as well drive a h2 like i really want, anyhow my price range (20k ish) is directing me to mainly 2003's just wanted to ask everyone if there is any real difference from 03 to 09 as far as problems or anything like that, im assuming an 03 is as good as any of them

Old 02-25-2013, 08:00 PM

lol ill give you the same response i just posted to the other one.

you should be able to find a 03-05 for 20k pretty easy. i love my 03 thats for sure, nothing wrong with any of them imo. the 6l is my fave new engine, im sure the 6.2 is great as well. im just glad it doesnt have the pos 5.3l in these like the tahoes and burbs have in them. if it had a 5.3, i probably wouldnt have bought an h2. LOL

any h2 is a nice ride imo but the 07-09s had the 6.2l in them and had more additional features in them with the updated dashboards.

the 6.2l is a great addition to the h2 over the 6l in the older ones. it has about 50 hp or so more and helps out alot when wheeling if you dont want to regear. I havent done any regearing and im plenty happy with 4lo diff locked when wheeling. it is plenty low to climb anything even with the 44s.

the usual stuff to look for on them for maintenance and issues

4x4 in good condition,
if it has air ride, make sure it is in good shape, if it is not working properly or has a slow leak, it is an expensive item to fix.

regular maintenance, trans flushes, diff lube

listen for major air leaks around the mirrors or doors, the glass along the pillars on the front glass can really whistle if it is leaking. replacement of the windshield would be needed or have it removed and sealed. the mirrors will always have a bit of noise in them and the h2 is a box on wheels so it has wind anyway. the windshield will be noticeable right away if it is leaking. the rest of it would be normal noise.

roof marker lights can leak into the cab if they get hit on top. if they are left alone, they wont leak but if you hit them while washing hard or something they will leak. simple fix with either new gaskets or silicone on the bottoms of the gaskets. Thats how a bunch of us have done ours when they leaked. I hit mine with a scrub brush this summer and had them leaking in a hard rain one day.

the traction control works properly
diff lock works
no grinding when shifting through the 4x4's, going into 4lo locked will make a good clunk but that is normal.
the trans doesnt clunk or slip during normal driving
tight steering (ball joints, hubs, and tie rod ends are major wear items)

if you plan to wheel it alot, either look for one with upgraded tie rods on it already or get some upgraded ones from cognito or similar for wheeling. if you dont, one will most likely break sometime. that is about the only issue that will need to either be considered or taken care of when doing maintenance before wheeling it.

overall, they are a great vehicle but they are big and wide. either you will be climbing over alot of stuff that you could fit between before or you will be running stuff over to fit through. esp if they are jeep style trails or something, the h2 will be tough to fit through there without rubbing stuff and working harder to actually fit. if they are wide roads and stuff, you wouldnt have to worry though.

not to say that isnt fun though, thats what makes it a blast to drive for me. i just wanted to warn you. lol it is going to be a change from a discovery or hx 470. those are going to feel like a small suv compared to driving an h2 alot.

just my topics for concern and a quick review on the h2 though, others have found some other things that they feel are more important than some of these. i know the issues ive heard and faced a bit.

steve

Old 02-25-2013, 08:32 PM

Good write-up Honda...

Old 02-25-2013, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Man1nboat
Good write-up Honda...

Thanks, please add to the list if you come up with anything.

Steve

Old 02-25-2013, 09:13 PM

Hi Steve. I have a long way to go knowledge-wise; however, many moons ago I used to be an aircraft mechanic and have always been an avid wrench-turner so I am not too afraid to dive into the H2 or whatever for that matter :-) Perhaps that could be an addition to the list, in that owning an H2 one should "be prepared to learn about it's strengths and weaknesses so to make prudent decisions i.e. performance upgrades, inherent weaknesses and how to fix them on their own if possible, etc... " What better way to learn about our unique friend?

Richard

Last edited by Man1nboat; 02-25-2013 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:15 PM

Agreed! That's the best part, push it and see what's its got. Hats the only true way to see what issues there are and what needs to be upgraded.

Steve

Old 02-25-2013, 11:21 PM

2003-2007 are pretty much the same..2003-2004 are about 15hp less than 05 and up..and the 05 has the first year for the all black interior and black guages, 03 -04 have wheat interior with goofy white guages, 06-07 have nicer rear view mirrors,and thats about it..2008-2009 have better horsepower and 6 speed tranny,but also have Tahoe interior.,balloon street tires,ugly silver paint on,bumpers..and cost 2-3times more, id get an 05-06 if 20k is your budget

Old 02-25-2013, 11:40 PM

Cons of a H2, sluggish,gas hog,not an excellent towing vehicle, truck like ride,uncomfortable rear seats, bad aerodynamics,wind noise,extremely cheap plastic used on interior with a very thin rubber like,coat of paint that scratches very easily,lower quality leather with vinyl Match interior, radiator tanks are also cheap plastic instead of alluminum,....... Reasons I like My hummer- its big, Wide and roomy, has full frame,all Wheel drive,4x4, tough metal guards underneath,tough metal bumpers with tow Hooks, alot of heavy duty accessories from factory,iconic body style,collectability,,theres nothing like a hummer.. you can buy escalade,tahoe,Yukon,navigator, but they look like family vans compared to the aggressive hummer

Old 02-26-2013, 04:40 AM

I'm thinking of buying an H2

I still can't decide if it is worth going for a 2008
In Canada i'm seeing 2005-07 for $20-33,000 (100,000km+)
and 08/09 for $33-80,000 (100,000km+)

Suggestions?

Is the newer engine really worth it?

Old 02-26-2013, 12:28 PM

The 08 09's are more powerfully and have smoother tranny,but cost double,and look the same as an 03 from the exterior...they're also heavier and use more gas due to the new 6.2...so its up to you..I personally don't like the new interior its less hummerish and more like a tahoe

Quick Reply: looking for first hummer h2