Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   Leaking water pump, replace pump? (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/leaking-water-pump-replace-pump-39496/)

2005H2 03-08-2018 01:58 PM

Leaking water pump, replace pump?

So the seals on my water pump are leaking. I was quoted $454 to replace the seals, pump, and inlet and outlet hoses.

Do I need to replace the whole pump or can I just replace the seals?

oceanbrave 03-08-2018 02:21 PM

Not a job that I've done, but quickley looking I see that the seals etc are really quite cheap:-

Seal / O-Ring = $ 1.65
Gasket = $ 4.42
Water Pump = $132.79

These are the most expensive items from RockAutos.

The hoses are available but not sure which goes where but quite probably you could get everything for less than $200 + delivery + tax

Certainly worth doing yourself if you can.

woodwardsh3 03-08-2018 08:34 PM

you could do it your self for less then 125.00

calif phil 03-09-2018 08:03 AM

I did mine by just replacing the two seals. Buy the Fel Pro brand. My water pump looked perfect and it's leak free now. This was on my LS powered '69 GMC but it's the same on your H2. The water pumps are very easy to R&R

H2Miami 03-12-2018 11:23 AM

I replaced the pump by myself it's not a hard work the hardest part was to remove the fan you going to need to rent and a special tool from AutoZone or any Auto Parts you can get an AC Delco pump and also the thermostat in Amazon for about a hundred thirty bucks also now you replacing the pump is a good time to replace the hoses which are really unexpensive and check your belts and if you want to go deeper also flush the coolant and replace with a new one all that we takes about 3-4 hours to get a complete

Best part is you going to spend probably half and replace a lot of things if you decide to do it by yourself

Dry Heat 04-24-2018 01:26 PM

I changed my water pump Not hard. Take the shroud off. on my '06 the shroud splis so the top half can be removed. Remove the air intake. Remove the belt. Now the hardest part I had was removing the cooling fan. I just left it on and pulled it when the pump came off. If i remember right the hoses for the radiator and thermostat were next. Take care removing the hose connector that lead to the heater core . That "Y" snapped right off at the neck and I had to replace it at the last minute.
The pump has 5 bolts. Real easy to remove. Older cars i have worked on had 10 or so bolts all different sizes and lengths. If you are changing the pump you might as well change the thermostat too. If you pulled the fan off before you pulled the pump good. If not now is the time. I had to us a pair of vise grips to hold the belt bell in place to get the fan to spin off.
Once that's done put the seals on the new pump and thermostat housing put it all back together, fill and purge the system and your done. Cost about $140.00 + Beer.

mulepic 01-28-2019 12:42 PM

On my 08, #7 in your picture above developed a small leak. Only noticeable when the tank was filled up. Luckily I was able to reach up there and use a mirror to put some sealant around it. Haven't had a problem since. Thanks for sharing this.

MixManSC 01-28-2019 12:58 PM

If you have air tools, an air chisel works well to remove a clutch fan. Just hammer on one edge of the nut and they usually will loosen right up. :)

mulepic 01-28-2019 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by mulepic (Post 357446)
On my 08, #7 in your picture above developed a small leak. Only noticeable when the tank was filled up. Luckily I was able to reach up there and use a mirror to put some sealant around it. Haven't had a problem since. Thanks for sharing this.

Not sure how this got on this thread. Sorry about the confusion.

frankinstien 05-11-2019 02:29 PM

I mistakenly place this post under the H3 threads, so I'm reposting under the H2:

Hello, I'm new to this forum and I am going to replace the water pump on my 2004 H2. I was wondering if I should use a sealant on the thermostat gasket? I'm assuming the metal gaskets with o-rings for the actual water pump don't need sealant?