Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

larger battery that is more readily available?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2020, 05:59 PM
Default larger battery that is more readily available?

hey guys its time for a battery change and here in canada its harder to find the group 79 battery that comes stock so i wanted to ask if there is any larger battery that i can fit into the battery holder while being readily available so i can save a little on cost.
the ac delco 79pg is $270 here in canada and i wasnt happy with how long my old one lasted so i dont want to go with them again

thanks

Old 05-25-2020, 06:56 PM

Stick with the 79 and find a different brand---> EastPenn

Who Makes ACDelco Batteries? Middle East Battery Company manufactures batteries for General Motors parts supplier ACDelco. Middle East Battery Company is in Saudi Arabia; Wisconsin-based Johnson Controls owns 49 percent of the company and investors own 51 percent.

Old 05-25-2020, 10:24 PM

ahh darn yeah i think i will probably have to do that.
correct me if i am wrong but a larger battery will have a higher reserve capacity and higher cca right?

i was wondering what are the negatives of lets say running a group 78 side post with 800 cca? it seems like i can save $140 if i run a group 78.
regardless if the battery is side or top post, i can just rewire the battery cables and change them to top post no?
however i am open to running something larger too but it cant be near obselete like a group 79.

being in canada sucks

Old 05-26-2020, 08:10 AM

A group 78 will work, just buy a quality one like the Deka brand mentioned above, I would skip cutting or splicing the battery cables and just purchase the sidepost battery.

Old 05-26-2020, 08:27 AM

An agm type battery also will resist damage from the vibrations ourtrucks submit them too. They are more money but seem to last longer.

Tim

Old 05-26-2020, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by apollo18
ahh darn yeah i think i will probably have to do that.
correct me if i am wrong but a larger battery will have a higher reserve capacity and higher cca right?

i was wondering what are the negatives of lets say running a group 78 side post with 800 cca? it seems like i can save $140 if i run a group 78.
regardless if the battery is side or top post, i can just rewire the battery cables and change them to top post no?
however i am open to running something larger too but it cant be near obselete like a group 79.

being in canada sucks
Group 78 is smaller yet comparable performance with Deka ultimate. Depends on the battery manufacturer and line you choose.

Old 05-26-2020, 12:42 PM

thanks for all the help!
correct me if am wrong but it seems like the group 78 is smaller then the group 79 but has more cca?

i thought the bigger battery will have a larger cca and larger reserve capacity or does a bigger battery only have higher reserve while cca is dependant on quality and composition etc?

Old 05-26-2020, 01:03 PM

i have used optima yellow top AGM type D34 with post to side post adapters with no issues. i have had that battery since October of 2014 no issues starting the hummer during the winters here up north.

Old 05-26-2020, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by apollo18
thanks for all the help!
correct me if am wrong but it seems like the group 78 is smaller then the group 79 but has more cca?

i thought the bigger battery will have a larger cca and larger reserve capacity or does a bigger battery only have higher reserve while cca is dependant on quality and composition etc?
You are correct, (specs above are incorrect, from a retailer site) If you go to the EastPenn link above, you will get the actual specs:

Old 05-26-2020, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by bronxteck
i have used optima yellow top AGM type D34 with post to side post adapters with no issues. i have had that battery since October of 2014 no issues starting the hummer during the winters here up north.
That's $400.cad.

Quick Reply: larger battery that is more readily available?