PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

L4 engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 10:41 AM

No one has asked you why you want to do this, so, what are you trying to accomplish?

Tim

Old 02-21-2018, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
In your case since you are already running a gen IV engine I'd guess that really and truly would be a direct and easy swap and you would just need a custom tune done. I'm not as familiar with the newer 6L80 trans but my understanding is that even stock, just like the 4L80, those should be able to take quite a bit of horsepower without needing any heavy duty or performance mods. On the 03-07 H2's the stock 4L65 trans will have a farily short life with 400+ hp. That being said the 4L65 can be rebuilt to withstand upwards of 600 hp but its not cheap and at that point you might be nearly in the same cost range to get that kit linked above to convert to a 4L80 which by design is a much heavier duty unit. Wonder what that trans place charges for all of the components needed for a H2? Does look like a good number of bits are needed along with some modifications. Swapping in the trans tune segment is pretty easy for any competent tuner with HPTuners or EFI Live. Might have to look into that myself when the trans goes in my 2003.

Thanks atv - looks like a lot has been figured out on these sort of cross generation swaps since I've last looked into it.
thanks for the response. greatly appreciated

Old 02-21-2018, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by tharber
No one has asked you why you want to do this, so, what are you trying to accomplish?
Tim
thanks for the question Tim
when the engine gets high mileage, maybe over 100k, i like to swap with a new engine with more horsepower. its a 6600 lb hunk so extra 150 hp would be nice. putting supercharger over existing engine costs 10k, so i thought it would be logical to put new engine with supercharger ( thats very expensive though 20k)
also as an option, tuned 383 6.2 lt stroker engine ( w/o supercharger) provides 550 hp, which is cheaper and reasonable as well

Old 02-22-2018, 07:25 AM

100K on an LS engine is nothing in today's world. Unless its been terribly abused I would consider it just getting broken in.

If that's the path you want to take, I completely understand. I was going to turbo mine but (long story) I had a custom tune done which made all the difference in the world power wise and I also picked up mpg.

You can find belt driven super charger kits for $6000 ish including the fuel pump. Maggie style supercharger / blowers are about the same cost. Your trans will need to be built to handle it which is certainly possible. So when its all said and done you will be at $10K as you stated. You might check out the LS1Tech.com site and look at single turbo installations. They can be a lot less money but require more fab. Huron speed I think can hook you up with the hot and cold side kit for about $1800. Add the turbo of your choice and fuel system and you will be around $5,000.

The GM connect and cruise packages are a good value in that respect but the HP advertised is at an rpm range that your H2 will never see. Look at the new LT1 with the 8 speed. There are transmission mounts available to go from the 4L60 to 4L80 so that's not going to be an issue. I do not know if there is an interface between the stand alone system and the truck so you might have to be creative with the check engine light. Cooling is also probably different but certainly doable. I think I'd look for a junkyard pullout 1st and order the GM harness and computer for it.

When its all said and done it would be a sweet ride but you also would have as much in the engine as the trucks is worth. Most of us could care less about that, so it sounds like a cool project.

Tim

Old 02-22-2018, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by tharber
100K on an LS engine is nothing in today's world. Unless its been terribly abused I would consider it just getting broken in.

If that's the path you want to take, I completely understand. I was going to turbo mine but (long story) I had a custom tune done which made all the difference in the world power wise and I also picked up mpg.

You can find belt driven super charger kits for $6000 ish including the fuel pump. Maggie style supercharger / blowers are about the same cost. Your trans will need to be built to handle it which is certainly possible. So when its all said and done you will be at $10K as you stated. You might check out the LS1Tech.com site and look at single turbo installations. They can be a lot less money but require more fab. Huron speed I think can hook you up with the hot and cold side kit for about $1800. Add the turbo of your choice and fuel system and you will be around $5,000.

The GM connect and cruise packages are a good value in that respect but the HP advertised is at an rpm range that your H2 will never see. Look at the new LT1 with the 8 speed. There are transmission mounts available to go from the 4L60 to 4L80 so that's not going to be an issue. I do not know if there is an interface between the stand alone system and the truck so you might have to be creative with the check engine light. Cooling is also probably different but certainly doable. I think I'd look for a junkyard pullout 1st and order the GM harness and computer for it.

When its all said and done it would be a sweet ride but you also would have as much in the engine as the trucks is worth. Most of us could care less about that, so it sounds like a cool project.

Tim
thanks Tim for extra info about turbo package, havent thought about it and turbo alternative sounds nice. engine in great shape so i dont think its abused. i have diablo tuner, but not custom tuned. i heard in forums some guy help with diablo custom tune for 150$.
as you said i wont be going 6000 rpm to fully benefit that advertised hp. your response, which i greatly appreciated, narrowed down my alternatives to harness more hp from existing engine, without swapping. add turbo and custom tune, whola!
one more question, how much additional hp you think custom tune would add on top of existing 395hp? ( i feel 395 is weak for H2, 500 sounds good to my ears and new magnaflow)
have great weekend bro
hakan

Last edited by hakan; 02-22-2018 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:16 PM

Get in touch with Lewis DiabLew Tune - Custom Tuning for GM Vehicles - DiabloSport inTune 2030, Diablo inTune 8245, DiabloSport Trinity, Custom Tuning by 06MonteSS, custom GM tuning

He is the man for a custom tune if you have a Diablo Sport. Will make a big difference and worth every cent.

I'm going the mods route on mine. Full long tube headers, high flow cats, full cat back (new exhaust end to end) and a custom tune made a huge difference.

I've looked at both superchargers and turbos and I'm partial to a supercharger. In particular the Magnuson TVS ones. For me the 1900 would be plenty. The plus with a supercharger (these in particular too) is they make more power down low versus up in the higher RPS ranges (I'm not as interested in going over 100 mph in my H2 lol - I'd rather have the additional power in the lower end. Of course zero lag with a supercharger too which a turbo suffers from. They are also available as a ready to go kit that with some skills you can install yourself in a weekend quite easily.

You can put on (or a turbo) on without doing anything to the transmission. Its just going to need a top notch rebuild or replacement eventually and with the extra power that eventuality will come a bit sooner. That makes the financial pain a bit easier if you can do the trans a bit later...

Even excluding both a turbo or supercharger you can still get these engines upwards of 500HP with some other mods like better heads and a mild cam, exhaust, tune, etc. I'm going at it a little at a time is all but I'be been keeping an eye out for a used (not abused) supercharger. I've seen them go used for as lower as a couple of thousand to around $4500. At $4500 I'd just spend the extra grand or so and get a brand new kit versus used.

For a 2008/2009 Hummer H2 / H2 SUT 6.2L V8 Radix Supercharger System

$5795 to bolt 120HP on. Shop it around and you can probably get the kit for a few hundred less. That complete new kit includes a handheld tuner with a custom tune and everything to get going.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:24 PM

thanks for great info. i will change the headers and get it tuned ( i already havemagnaflow) and see hows the hp. you are right, 530 hp at 6000 rpm wont do it for me either, since i wont be going that fast.
thanks for the link, i will get in touch with diablo tune guy, and with headers and camshaft, lets see how much hp im getting. of course supercharger would be icing on the cake. i will be shopping around for used one in good conditions, as first option
thanks again for response, thats why i like this forums,

Old 02-23-2018, 07:09 AM

I don't know how much hp my custom tune added but it is night and day different from the stock tune. I don't know everything he did but the biggest issue the stock tune had was a lack of any timing advance. My truck at part throttle was pulling a NEGATIVE 2 degrees of timing. He moved that to 20 degrees advanced. It will take more but on a 100 degree day in FL I was afraid I'd kick the knock sensors off. It also no longer has to kick down a gear to get over a bridge or incline. I do run 93 octane in it most of the time but I can get by with 91 even on a hot day. He also changed some shift points for the trans.

I'm not certain a Diablo tune will do all that but if it will I would go for it. There is also a company out there called Black Bear I think that will send you a pre programmed ECM based on your performance desires, I think they are $150 but have never used them.

In the end, I am a gear head and love performance but I am content with my truck as it sits. I realize its like driving a sheet of plywood down the road so it will never be fast but the tune made mine pleasurable.

Tim

Old 02-23-2018, 08:40 AM

so when it comes to tuning, either i will take it to custom tune shop, or get help with my diablo tuner to have it custom tuned. i am not trying to go over 80 mph , just trying to get more hp. then again, once custom tuned at shop, diablo tuner would be off ( except for tire sizing, tyranny ratio changes, and code reading)
which one is better ; custom tune at shop, or diablo custom tune for 150$ ?
thanks guys for all the help and support

Old 02-23-2018, 02:58 PM

I might be wrong but I think the Diablo tune is a plug in device. Find someone who can reprogram the ecm, not just control a few parameters with buttons. If you are savy enough, buy HP Tuners and play with it yourself. I've never been a computer guy so I just paid a local guy to do mine.

I looked at the link given above, it is a custom tune for your ecm so it would be a good route to take if you don't have anyone local.

Tim

Last edited by tharber; 02-23-2018 at 03:05 PM.

Quick Reply: L4 engine