PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

L4 engine

Old 02-19-2018, 06:08 PM
Default L4 engine

is it possible to swap engine with L4 6.2 supercharged?

Old 02-20-2018, 06:58 AM

I assume you are asking about putting a newer 6.2 in an 2003-2007 H2 that came with the 6.0. Now if you mean on a 2008 or 2009 that would probably be doable.

On upgrading an older 6.0 to the newer 6.2, anything is possible for the right amount of money.

Realistically. No. You would have to replace the ENTIRE wiring harness, all buttons, switches, gauges, the transmission, transfer case, and all computers. You could buy a 2008/2009 model for less than what it would cost to try and adapt that engine. to an older one.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:14 AM

There's a guy on the facebook group who's just stuck a stroker kit in his H2. Can't remember if 417 or something, but it looks like he's having good results with that. Sounds nice from the vids he's posted.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:40 AM

As Mix said, anything is possible with enough money.

Personally I would stroke the current iron block you have or even FI the thing with some forged internals. That way you don't have to worry about harnesses and the other electronic goodies to make the other engine work.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:02 AM

A popular swap is adding the L92 heads & intake to the 6.0. Do a web search and you will find quite a bit of information.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:29 AM

Any 24x engine is a direct swap no matter the displacement. Just put your accessories on and install then get it tuned. That is B.S that you need to change wiring harness, t-case etc if you stay with a 24x engine.

Old 02-20-2018, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by atvspeed4
Any 24x engine is a direct swap no matter the displacement. Just put your accessories on and install then get it tuned. That is B.S that you need to change wiring harness, t-case etc if you stay with a 24x engine.
Sure - physically it will bolt right in.
Different PCM's with different connectors. Different fuel injectors with different connectors. Knock sensors on the side of the block instead of under the intake (have to extend that harness). I think Lingenfelter does make a couple of computer adapters that you could use. Will need a totally custom tune regardless to disable VVT. If you are replacing an older 6.0 with a return fuel rail you will have to change it up to the newer returnless setup. Going to need to get the intake and throttle body unless the new engine includes then as the Gen IV engines have square intake ports and not cathedral ports. Still a LOT of little fiddly things to also be sure of as well.

Its been gone over ad nauseum on LS1Tech, Perfomancetrucks, Pirate4x4, etc. It is doable and if you stay with the 4L65 transmission it is not that tough to do it all with the harness extensions and adapters that are available. But - without the 6L80 transmission the extra .2L of displacement and extra bit of HP is hardly worth the effort. Do it and change to the 6L80 trans, then it really starts getting complicated and expensive.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
Sure - physically it will bolt right in.
Different PCM's with different connectors. Different fuel injectors with different connectors. Knock sensors on the side of the block instead of under the intake (have to extend that harness). I think Lingenfelter does make a couple of computer adapters that you could use. Will need a totally custom tune regardless to disable VVT. If you are replacing an older 6.0 with a return fuel rail you will have to change it up to the newer returnless setup. Going to need to get the intake and throttle body unless the new engine includes then as the Gen IV engines have square intake ports and not cathedral ports. Still a LOT of little fiddly things to also be sure of as well.

Its been gone over ad nauseum on LS1Tech, Perfomancetrucks, Pirate4x4, etc. It is doable and if you stay with the 4L65 transmission it is not that tough to do it all with the harness extensions and adapters that are available. But - without the 6L80 transmission the extra .2L of displacement and extra bit of HP is hardly worth the effort. Do it and change to the 6L80 trans, then it really starts getting complicated and expensive.
Read my post...24x motor. I just installed a 2011 6.0VVT 58x motor and 6l90E in my 2006 H3 I promise I know what it takes after just completing this project. If I was going to do a swap in a H2 I would just order a crate motor what ever displacement your budget allows with a 24x reluctor ring. Just an example (https://blueprintengines.com/collect...ucts/gm-408-ls) This is a very common option on crate engines and will bolt/ plug right in. In regards to transmission I would just run a 4l80E there is already a kit to install and plug right in (https://transmissioncenter.net/shop/...p-information/)

Old 02-20-2018, 08:12 PM

thanks for the responses. my bad i forgot to mention. i got 2008 H2. thinking about replaceng existing 6.2 with LS4 supercharged engine. from 395 hp to 650 would be nice. but how about the tyranny. needs to be replaced as well? thanks all

Old 02-21-2018, 08:29 AM

In your case since you are already running a gen IV engine I'd guess that really and truly would be a direct and easy swap and you would just need a custom tune done. I'm not as familiar with the newer 6L80 trans but my understanding is that even stock, just like the 4L80, those should be able to take quite a bit of horsepower without needing any heavy duty or performance mods. On the 03-07 H2's the stock 4L65 trans will have a farily short life with 400+ hp. That being said the 4L65 can be rebuilt to withstand upwards of 600 hp but its not cheap and at that point you might be nearly in the same cost range to get that kit linked above to convert to a 4L80 which by design is a much heavier duty unit. Wonder what that trans place charges for all of the components needed for a H2? Does look like a good number of bits are needed along with some modifications. Swapping in the trans tune segment is pretty easy for any competent tuner with HPTuners or EFI Live. Might have to look into that myself when the trans goes in my 2003.

Thanks atv - looks like a lot has been figured out on these sort of cross generation swaps since I've last looked into it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: L4 engine