Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Installing a stereo Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 02:35 PM
Default Installing a stereo Help!!

Hey all...
i am installing an aftermarket stereo and we are not using the factory anything.
Everything is out and it is a clean install....

I have a couple of questions.
1) if I cut the wiring harness connector that was at the Bose Amp or the stock head unit.... Will that effect anything else not related to the stereo?

2) what wire do I need to power the radio.... I am pretty sure I need a switched/ignition power and a constant power ... Correct?
If so, what color wires are the switched and the constant in the stock Bose 9 speaker wiring harness?

3) will removing the stock stereo, amp, and every the on star effect the remote locks?
Thanks!!

Last edited by jsbihn; 03-23-2019 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:21 PM

I would strongly recommend you not cut the factory wiring. You will only be asking for trouble as there are too many inter-dependencies to other systems. Look in to Axxess GMOS-04 or a similar product to make your install a lot easier, more integrated (i.e. still use steering wheel controls, etc,), and less risky.

Old 03-24-2019, 05:39 AM

I understand alot goes on in the oem wiring but I also can't see it effecting anything other than stereo items.... Right?
especially when there are some Hummers with an amp or with out the other items like onstar.

also the wire to get a switch on? Which is it?

Also what about loosing the key fob use

Old 03-24-2019, 08:47 AM

I bookmarked a link to this post a while back when OB posted it..... This should really be a sticky on the forums.

https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...68/#post352570

That attached PDF should be all you need as it has all of the wiring diagrams and connector info you need. My guess is you will need to extend at least some of the wiring from the amp plug to behind the stereo. Also another tip - to the left of the stereo is a nice big pocket of open space directly behind the 4WD buttons which works great for stuffing extra wiring, connectors, steering wheel control adapter, etc. I just cut a opening in the plastic for access at the back of the stereo pocket with a dremel which works perfect. Totally invisible and hidden unless the stereo is removed. Helps a good bit since there is very little extra room directly behind the stereo for wiring. You will also need a GM FM antenna plug adapter as GM uses a little connector that does not plug into aftermarket stereos. Also depending on the aftermarket head unit - if it has bluetooth for your phone, or built in navigation and you do not use the Onstar you can repurpose the Onstar microphone in the headliner and the Onstar GPS antenna for your aftermarket head unit. I did on mine - works perfect. I know some have not had the mic work well - in that scenario I'd probably cut open the one that came with the head unit, pull the stock one from the headliner and glue the aftermarket one to the little grille so at least its hidden and looks stock. On the GPS antenna, the Onstar ones cable will barely reach the stereo pocket but it will and you would need a plug adapter to whatever style plug your aftermarket head unit uses (different brands use different GPS antenna plugs).

Old 03-24-2019, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
I bookmarked a link to this post a while back when OB posted it..... This should really be a sticky on the forums.

https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...68/#post352570

That attached PDF should be all you need as it has all of the wiring diagrams and connector info you need. My guess is you will need to extend at least some of the wiring from the amp plug to behind the stereo. Also another tip - to the left of the stereo is a nice big pocket of open space directly behind the 4WD buttons which works great for stuffing extra wiring, connectors, steering wheel control adapter, etc. I just cut a opening in the plastic for access at the back of the stereo pocket with a dremel which works perfect. Totally invisible and hidden unless the stereo is removed. Helps a good bit since there is very little extra room directly behind the stereo for wiring. You will also need a GM FM antenna plug adapter as GM uses a little connector that does not plug into aftermarket stereos. Also depending on the aftermarket head unit - if it has bluetooth for your phone, or built in navigation and you do not use the Onstar you can repurpose the Onstar microphone in the headliner and the Onstar GPS antenna for your aftermarket head unit. I did on mine - works perfect. I know some have not had the mic work well - in that scenario I'd probably cut open the one that came with the head unit, pull the stock one from the headliner and glue the aftermarket one to the little grille so at least its hidden and looks stock. On the GPS antenna, the Onstar ones cable will barely reach the stereo pocket but it will and you would need a plug adapter to whatever style plug your aftermarket head unit uses (different brands use different GPS antenna plugs).
how did u make the microphone works??

Old 03-24-2019, 12:00 PM

My Kenwood came with a mic that had a 1/8" size headphone plug. I just got another 1/8" plug and tied the factory onstar mic wires to it and plugged it in.