PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am considering buying an H2 and looking for advise

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 05:51 PM
Default I am considering buying an H2 and looking for advise

I am looking to buy a SUV for around 20k, its going to be a second car and I live in the north east and winter is coming and storm season and such. I am looking for a fun comfortable rig to go out in the middle of a bad storm with or snow storm and have fun and when its nice be able to drive about 100miles to an off road park, have fun and drive back but I want it to be functional as a large suv ( which is why I am not considering a wrangler). I have narrowed it down to a Land Rover LR3 and a Hummer H2 (2003-2005). I was leaning toward the LR3 because if its nice interior and tech however the hummer just seems like a lot of fun. I am looking for not really an every day car because I have a civic but something I would enjoy getting in and having fun with. I have only been driving for about 6 years and have already has 20 cars but I want to keep this one. If you were in my position what which one would you pick the LR3 or Hummer H2 and why?

Old 09-11-2014, 08:18 PM

Heres my 2 cents

Land Rover - Built by the English. (it was best said in the movie I.Q., ..."and you know the British. They'd rather spend time gluing wood on a dashboard than getting the electrical system right.")
Also, look up what happened to Beckham and his Brand new Rover about two miles down the road.
Also, look at how much it costs to fix them.
Sure they are impressive on a safari in Kenya, but are you on a safari in Kenya?

Hummer - Hummer built with GM products (some good some bad, ie windshield wiper motor issue).
Prone to H2 Gremlins.
Cheaper and easier to fix (GM product)
Gas Guzzler
Go anywhere vehicle

Personally I have a Hummer H2 and my sister has a Land Rover.
I like the H2 - I have found it quirky but still reliable
Even my Doctor friend has a L.R. and traded it in on a Jepp 4 door. Said the truck spend more time in the shop then it did on the road
If you want luxury, get the L.R.
If you want some luxury with a I can go anywhere attitude..... H2

Hope this helps

Old 09-11-2014, 08:34 PM

Land Rovers and completely awesome from an appearance stand point. My wife has wanted one for years BUT as mentioned above they are supposed to the worst vehicles ever built. It is very surprising given their price. Plus the cost of repairing them is out of the roof!

Old 09-11-2014, 09:50 PM

This is an H2 forum, we've made that decision and went H2 (or H1 or H3). I'm sure if you ask the same question on a LR forum (which you probably have) they will say LR3.

I say buy and H2, paint a big number 3 on the side, and have fun.

Old 09-12-2014, 05:58 AM

HA! Zombieland reference! Make sure you buy a yellow one!

Old 09-12-2014, 07:01 AM

ha Thank you, you guys are much more helpful then on the LR forum. Do you see the Hummer H2 deprecating alot in a few years? Also is the H3 adventure better off road over all than the H2?

Old 09-12-2014, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by jsbihn
Heres my 2 cents

Land Rover - Built by the English. (it was best said in the movie I.Q., ..."and you know the British. They'd rather spend time gluing wood on a dashboard than getting the electrical system right.")
Also, look up what happened to Beckham and his Brand new Rover about two miles down the road.
Also, look at how much it costs to fix them.
Sure they are impressive on a safari in Kenya, but are you on a safari in Kenya?

Hummer - Hummer built with GM products (some good some bad, ie windshield wiper motor issue).
Prone to H2 Gremlins.
Cheaper and easier to fix (GM product)
Gas Guzzler
Go anywhere vehicle

Personally I have a Hummer H2 and my sister has a Land Rover.
I like the H2 - I have found it quirky but still reliable
Even my Doctor friend has a L.R. and traded it in on a Jepp 4 door. Said the truck spend more time in the shop then it did on the road
If you want luxury, get the L.R.
If you want some luxury with a I can go anywhere attitude..... H2

Hope this helps

You will not find vehicles with faster deprecation then range / land rovers. I recall seeing an article less then a year ago even discussing it. On a similar note over last weekend when I was sick and couch bound I stumbled on a recent article that Hummer H2's are maintaining more value then this group that has been studying re sales at 5+ year old vehicles has ever seen. The article stated at 5 years old H2's are still on average maintaining like 68%-70% of their original MSRP. (Heck good condition 03-04 H2s are still hanging around $18,000-20,000) What's a rover worth at that point, $3500?? (Check C list you can see it)

How can you tell when a limmy car is out of oil.....it stopped leaking

The market price speaks to what is hot and what's not..

Old 09-12-2014, 08:23 AM

It's an easy choice for me as I only buy American vehicles.

Old 09-12-2014, 08:34 AM

H2's definitely keep their value. This is the first vehicle I've owned that has positive equity.

KBB on a trade in at excellent (which there's no reason mine isn't) says $26,145 and I owe just under $18k so there's a pretty good gap.

Old 09-12-2014, 04:06 PM

Thats great news because I was going to get a loan on it. I wasnt going to finance the whole thing but I didn't want to lose my shirt if i decided to sell it in a few years. So as far as gas mileage I know if Im looking for good gas mileage to look else where but I hear some people say it get 10mpg and some say that it get like 18 on the highway. What can I expect to get on like long interstate trips because thats what I will mainly use it for. Also if it more capable off road then a 2008 + rubicon?

Quick Reply: I am considering buying an H2 and looking for advise