PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Hydrobooster issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 10:57 PM
Default Hydrobooster issues

I had a new hyrdo booster put in about 3 months ago. Over a period of about 4-5 weeks i noticed this thumping sound every time i released the brake pedal. It has gradually been occuring more often till it now does it every time. I have also observed a noticable decrease in brake pedal firmness.

I took the car back to the shop. They called me told me that the thumping was caused by they hydrobooster. That there was "something" wrong with the hydrobooster but that it is not causing an unsafe operation. Of course since i supplied the part they want to charge me to remove and replace it.

When i picked up the car however i noticed that the pedal was once again back to its normal firmness and that the thumping noise was gone. I called the shop, questioned the mechanic and he says he didnt do anything to the car. Just confirmed that the thumping noise was coming from the hydrobooster and pulled the car back off the lift.

Now three weeks later the thumping is back and the pedal is soft again.

Obviously something happened. The hydrobooster didn't just miraculously fix itself overnight. Any one have any ideas on what might be going on?

Old 06-16-2015, 12:53 AM

so its been a few weeks since my post. the brake pedal has slowly gone back to its squishy soft feel and braking performance has decreased noticeably again.

Old 06-16-2015, 06:40 AM

If you supplied the part the shop should charge you for the R&R again. It sounds like it is the hydroboost or maybe you could have a problem with the power steering pump. How is the PS fluid? Does the fluid look OK? does it leak?

Last edited by calif phil; 06-19-2015 at 08:05 AM.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:24 PM

Sounds like a bad part

Old 07-30-2015, 11:51 AM

Any further info or thoughts on this subject I am getting the warning from the dash and I plan on replacing it myself with an AC delco from the local parts store. Or would you suggest I just take it in and have it replaced by Cadillac or Chevy with the OEM part at more than twice the part cost plus labor, to avoid the hassle?

Old 07-31-2015, 03:52 PM

FYI check amazon. I was able to get mine for under $300. OEM.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:24 PM

Got my new booster.from amazon replaced.it today drove around.most of the day but this.after.noon the service.brake booster.light came.back on any suggestions on what to change out next? I'm thinking master cylinder them power.steering pump.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:36 AM

ive been "told" that on certain gm cars the powersteering pump needs to be replaced along with the hydrobooster other wise it can cause a lot of strange issues.

i only replaced the hyrdobooster. I am taking the vehicle back to the mechanic in the next week or so and check the powersteering pump as well to see if that is what is causing the issue.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by ant69
I am getting the warning from the dash and
What warning are you getting that is associated with the Hydroboost?

Old 08-14-2015, 04:28 PM

I am getting a warning on the message center that says "SERVICE BRAKE BOOSTER". I was thinking about changing the master but maybe the power steering pump is a good idea.

Quick Reply: Hydrobooster issues