PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hummer h2 Black Grille

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 05:31 PM
Default Hummer h2 Black Grille

Is anyone still on this forum? Don't seem to be a lot of posts anymore. Just bought a 2004 hummer h2 last week. I am looking to black it out but dont seem to find a lot on it. Looking to start with the grille. Anyone know of anywhere selling 2004 Hummer H2 black grille. Or what is a good way to strip the chrome off of the plastic grille that is on it?

Old 02-24-2017, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to HF.

First, yeah people post here, but we have this real tricky set up where if you ask a question about an H2..... it should be asked in the...

get this.....

The H2 section.

So I MOVED your post to the H2 section instead of Ride Of The Month which 1) is dead and non-active because we do not do that anymore; 2) has nothing to do with asking any question.

To paint you current grill, scuff the chrome with sand paper, clean it with mineral spirits or something else that will remove any dirt/oil/grease, let it dry, and paint it.

Old 02-25-2017, 06:47 AM

Or, and I have personally never tried the stuff (I'm not into the full murdered out look myself) if you want to potentially be able to undo it.... A lot of people use the plasti-dip stuff which you can peel back off later.

Reason I mention this is Hummer parts are no longer made and will only get rarer and more valuable in many respects.

As far as slower forums now. I've seen this on all the Hummer sites but I'm betting there will eventually be a revitalization since so many Hummers are really starting to get up in age. As neglected ones drop in price they will be coming into the affordability of a whole different population segment who are going to be looking for info and tips on repairs, modifications, etc that are know to work good.

Old 02-26-2017, 10:10 PM

Ok, I just went through this process. I first thought that a smoked chrome would look nice. So I removed the grill and used a smoke kit. It comes with the smoke chrome paint and clear lacquer. The chrome smoke paint has to go on perfect before the lacquer, and after three kits I got good at it and it looks real good. But not perfect.

So today off came the grill again and I used a semi gloss plastic coat with a bit of glitter in it. Its very slight glitter and has to be looked at the right angle to see it.

This will no doubt chip soon and I will be taking the gill off again and usinf some kind of anti chip paint.

On the plastic chrome there is no reason to strip it. Just sand it smooth to about a 600 grit for adhesion. Like with most things, cleanliness is the key. Wash, degrease, put on gloves to keep your hand oils off the part, etc.

I took off my chrome H2 badges today and have most chrome gone. What I am trying to research now is how to get the H2 etching out of the glass on the side windows.

Old 03-02-2017, 03:56 PM

Ok thanks guys i think i will try the plastic dip first since i can remove it and it seems inexpensive. If you do end up find something that doesn't chip and you like it please post again!

Thanks all

Old 03-02-2017, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by country8109
Ok thanks guys i think i will try the plastic dip first since i can remove it and it seems inexpensive. If you do end up find something that doesn't chip and you like it please post again!

Thanks all
if you want to keep the chrome for another day, have it dipped by a professional shop. Having it dipped by a shop is a lot different then dipping it yourself with a spray can as far as finish goes. if you are not going back to chrome. Have it painted and be done with it.