PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hummer is Back?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 08:14 PM
Old 06-17-2019, 09:35 PM

I don’t see how? It’s my understanding that the brand was sold off cheap to the Chinese. Maybe I’m wrong or it might be the H1’s that they are reviving because they were not allowed to sell it off because of military using the Hummvee.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:19 AM

Back in 2009 the deal with the Chinese company fell through so GM just shelved the brand.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
Back in 2009 the deal with the Chinese company fell through so GM just shelved the brand.
That’s great news and I guess the Chinese don’t need to own the brand to copy it. I think the Hummer brand has been poorly managed and how do you make a case for Hummer and Pontiac Being shelved and you continue to make Buick?

Old 06-18-2019, 10:22 AM

so i wonder how GM will handle this https://jalopnik.com/you-can-buy-the...ler-1746530166 the company completely ripped off the Hummer HX concept and used a competitors truck to do so. LOL.

Old 06-18-2019, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by MixManSC

Correct, Sale to the Chinese company never went through. The Chinese government didn’t approved the sale so GM still retained the ownership of Hummer

Old 06-18-2019, 01:14 PM

Who knows why GM has not gone after US Specialty Vehicles for ripping the HX concept off though. My only guess is they have no legal basis since it was never an actual production vehicle and USSV did not use specific defining Hummer design elements like the grille, hood grab bars, logos, etc. So its close but not an exact copy.

Buick had and still does have its own defined market segments which was middle class not as luxury as Cadillac but more uplevel than Chevy. Pontiac was more of a direct competitor for the Chevy market segments. Hummer was just in a bad point in time. If they bring it back, it will be an EV and if they want to get any of their original market segment back its going to have to be very very capable with a very good range. The biggest problem I see with an EV for the off-road segment is you cannot bring a jerry can along with extra fuel and there are no charging stations once you go off road. Solar charging would not be viable as it would simply take far too long to generate any sort of a useful charge unless you are bringing along a panel setup that is a half an acre in size. For an true off road vehicle the only option I see is either straight up traditional combustion engines or at best a hybrid.

Now if they can actually bring other newer tech to market which is fully already developed (big oil does NOT want these new technologies out in any affordable way) like hydrogen fuel cell or (doubtful it would ever be in the public's hands) miniature nuclear reactor tech.......

Old 06-18-2019, 01:26 PM

the jerry can is not lost!!! this is what you do with the jerry can so you have something to spend the time when you run out of juice.

but i am pretty sure they would have some sort of generator to compensate and charge off grid if not the aftermarket will develop it or just get a regular portable generator and take your charger with you. like a phone lol...

Old 06-18-2019, 06:20 PM

Can't say im a fan of the Rhino. I did like the hx concept, but that Rhino looks more like a modded fj cruiser. Especially the windshield and hood. Built on a crappy Chrysler driveline. Id rather have an fj. Funny they would use the jeep platform as the jk looks like a mini h2 to me and resembles it better than there rendition the rhino.

I did read an article yesterday from Hagerty of gm talking about bringing the Hummer back BUT as an electric. Would be ok if they also built them with the Dmax. The president of GM said he was a big hummer fan so we will see.
Would be a tough choice as the Bollinger B1should be released soon and that thing is way cooler than a tesla and performs. Cant wait to see what the price is.

Last edited by madmayo; 06-18-2019 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:26 AM

IF, and that's a big IF GM does come out with an EV "HUMMER" it will just be a re-branded very ugly Equinox or some other GM SUV that is NOT body-on-frame. Think new 2019 "Blazer".

Quick Reply: Hummer is Back?