PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to upgrade old radio?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 10:21 PM
Default How to upgrade old radio?

Hi! I'm looking for new android car stereo and want to install Seicane car stereo in my 2011 H2. How to install it? Is it difficult to install this by myself or to ask the professional to help?

Old 05-21-2018, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by David Lee
Hi! I'm looking for new android car stereo and want to install Seicane car stereo in my 2011 H2. How to install it? Is it difficult to install this by myself or to ask the professional to help?

It's very easy. Just ensure you purchase the correct harness interface to ensure you don't lose your steering wheel controls.

2011 H2; haven't heard of that one btw

Old 05-21-2018, 12:15 PM

If you can solder and heat shrink you will be fine to do it yourself. I have done other GM's but not my H2. As mentioned you will need potentially multiple harnesses depending on what stock features you want to keep on the new radio. Those interfaces/harnesses are what drives the cost up.

I had a complete octopuss of wiring when I changed the deck in my 06 GTO to maintain all the factory options. It is a good chunk of work but once you are done it is well worth it.

Old 05-21-2018, 01:28 PM

Same - really do not even need to do any soldering in the vehicle itself. Get the right harness adapters and wire that up the the aftermarket radio harness on a bench. I do it this way and clip the harnesses somewhat short (less to have to stuff somewhere in the dash) and solder, then seal each wire with heatshrink.

You will need a couple of electronic modules as well that you will need to wire in. Once retains chimes, Onstar, and a couple of other factory functions, the other will be an interface for the steering wheel controls. That is optional if you dont care about keeping the steering wheel controls.

On the 08/09 models if you get a newer Kenwood (I'm sure probably some other brands too) and get an iDatalink Maestro interface your will be loving it. You will get tire pressures, steering wheel controls, performance gauges, OBDII info, and all sorts of other cool info right on the stereo screen including check engine codes and even able to reset those! All with one interface box.... Wish that was an option on the 2003-2007 models really bad. They could do it but iDatalink does not feel that they would sell enough of them to be worth the development costs. I think that is idiotic as the exact same unit would also apply to every single GMT800 platform GM vehicle which is all trucks and full size SUV's from Chevy, GMC, and Cadillac.

Unfortunately you will be totally out of luck for a 2011 Hummer H2. There are no stereo options for that since that vehicle does not exist.

Link to the iDatalink Module on their website....
iDatalink - Maestro - Search

Last edited by MixManSC; 05-21-2018 at 01:31 PM.