PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to See MPG info in DIC?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 09:27 AM
Default How to See MPG info in DIC?

Hi guys, I just picked up my new 2003 H2 and drove it home on a 1000 mile trip. It works great and I love it. The whole time I had the MPG info displayed on the Driver Information Center. Once I got it home, I started playing with all the settings, and once I pressed the odometer stem on the cluster, it showed the dometer, engine hours, etc... but now when I press the fuel economy info button on the steering hweel controls to get back to my MPG settings, it doesn't show... the odometer just stays there. I can't figure out how to get back to the mpg info, oil change info, etc. I've tried with the doors open, closed, etc... I'm sure theres just a trick to it that I don't know yet. The owners manual seems to indicate that just pressing the button on the steering wheel will bring up the menu, but it doesn't see that easy. Does anyone know how I can get that info back up on the screen?

Thanks!

Old 09-02-2017, 01:36 PM

The steering wheel button that has the little gas pump icon is the one for the economy displays. See the attached....

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
03H2DIC.pdf (31.9 KB, 228 views)
Old 09-02-2017, 03:08 PM

Right, that's the one that isn't working (as mentioned above... the fuel economy button). Upon further playing with it, it seems to work if only one press is made within a 3 minute period of time... I can't just press it to cycle through the fuel/oil/etc without letting it rest for several minutes. That didn't happen at all on the 1000 mile trip I just made with it. Must be an electrical gremlin of some sort. At least I can get to it, even though it takes 3 minutes of each button press to get there. I can live with that, since I'll probably leave it on that display for the most part. Same thing with the button just above it. All other steering wheel buttons are working fine at least. Earlier today it wouldn't even change once, even with time in between the button presses, so maybe it will eventually fix itself, lol.

Old 09-02-2017, 04:00 PM

The usual suspect, bad rocker switch. Pull the button switch out and look it over

Old 09-02-2017, 05:29 PM

The switch certainly makes sense. I pulled it out but didn't see any obvious issues. For $17.95 on ebay though, I'll replace it and I'm guessing that will fix it.

Quick question... when I pulled out the switch, the wiring connection seemed very short, so much so that I could barely get the switch out and was afraid the wiring would unclip from the switch when I was taking it out, which would be very hard to get back on since it's so short. When I install the new one, is there a trick to get to the wiring connector a little easier? If I pull a little harder should the wiring give itself a little more slack or is that all there is? It isn't long enough to come out of the steering wheel hole that I can tell, which will make installing the new one pretty difficult.

Old 09-03-2017, 06:55 AM

Replaced my top two steering switches yesterday and as you say the cable is really short.

The tool I used was a cheap dental-pick re-bent to form a small hook tool (see jpg) Even a stiff piece of solid-wire could be used.

I used the tool to pull-out the switch (really easy) and used it again to release the latch on the connector alowing the switch to be pulled-out without starining the wires.

To fit the replacement switch, slide the tool down the LHS of the connector and between the the wires in the middle (for balance). Align the connector with the switch and holding the tool firmly and push the switch onto the connector then just slide-out the tool. Check the connector has "latched-in" and then test that it works. Finally push the switch back in.

Attached Thumbnails How to See MPG info in DIC?-img_20170902_133147.jpg   How to See MPG info in DIC?-tool-pic.jpg  

Last edited by oceanbrave; 09-03-2017 at 06:57 AM.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:09 AM

Yep, thats how to change it. And no, there is no extra slack on the wires unless you remove the airbag.

Old 09-03-2017, 06:41 PM

Perfect, I'll keep ya'll posted when the switch arrives. Awesome use of the dental tool .

Old 09-05-2017, 07:57 AM

I would rather have the dental pic in the switches instead of my mouth.

One nice thing about the 2003 is they show instant MPG as well as average MPG. My 2006 only shows average.