Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   Hummer H2 (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/hummer-h2-8/)
-   -   Help please, tranny died (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/hummer-h2-8/help-please-tranny-died-45124/)

Tommy454 09-09-2021 06:12 PM

Help please, tranny died

At 109,000 miles my tranny went out. GM dealer said its done. A local Transmission shop said he can install a remanufactured one about $1000 less then GM dealer. I wanted to see about getting a better one or upgraded performance version of the OEM transmission. I got a 2006 H2 with 6inch Fabtech lift, tires 38/13.50. Has anyone heard of these companies and/or had one of their transmissions installed. I got the info on their websites.

1. PerfromanceBuilt Transmissions in Bloomsburg PA
I was looking at their Extreme 4X4 4L65E version. Saw great reviews in the LS1 forums but I couldn't find any reviews for Hummers yet. I think there was one on a 4x4 pickup truck. The shop said they did make em for Hummers before.

2. GEARSTAR in Akron OH.
This is the one I was thinking of buying. They have a GM 4L65E Transmission level 3. Its got 500 horsepower and up to 500 ft lbs torque, vice their level 2 which is 400 400, I believe like the OEM transmission that it came with. They have outstanding reviews on their website.

3. Xtreme Performance (XP) in Farmington, MN
This one looks good too. 4L65E. Their stating that they corrected the existing flaws from its original manufacturer.

Any suggestions/comments on what I should do from fellow Hummer owners who got a new tranny and/or experienced techs on this subject are greatly appreciated. GM dealer, local shop or see if local shop can install one I buy? I am looking at the long run here. I don't really beat it up off road or tow. Maybe up and down a steep mountain a couple times a year. Although, I would like to BAH HA. Its a daily driver and I did run about 50 to 65 mph on the highway for about 80 miles just about every weekend in the summer for the past year or two. That's probably why it died. Just found out, not good for H2's. I had the tranny maintenance according to the manual at 104,000. Flushed, new filter, oil.

I think I should get a better performance one, with my lift and tires but I read others having trouble with the bigger transmissions and more horsepower in their H2. As long as it's a 4L65E, I think I should be good.

Thanks

neveragain 09-09-2021 06:30 PM

I used this company just a couple months ago https://www.alltransremanufacturing.com/about-us.html they sell a standard or performance remanufactured transmission for your H2. I have an H3 and bought the standard and so far so good no issues or complaints. I searched the internet for hours on end and the best deal was thru Auto Zone. I was able to take the core back to the store and they gave me back the core charge on the spot and they shipped it back to Altrans where all the others would have ate up the core charge to ship back. It came with a new torque converter on it and primed.

hummerz 09-09-2021 07:46 PM

How did the tranny die? RIP

bronxteck 09-09-2021 08:26 PM

could probably price one of these out https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...ermatic-4l75-e

maxjeep 09-09-2021 09:02 PM

Big tires, small tranny cooler? Gears changed for big tires? You need a stall speed converter. I think I went with a 2,800 stall Yank tow converter. I got all Sonex stuff on eBay for cheap and took it to a really good trans shop and had him build it. I got a parts list off a site that claimed it would handle 750hp. I couldn’t be happier and it was cheaper than ordering a built trans. I even got the Sonex drum with the xtra clutch plate. I didn’t want to have to do it again 30k down the road. I have 38.5 x 15.5 and I changed gears to 4:88 and with stall converter it drives like a stock truck. I had a front seal leaking and trans was fine but I didn’t want to pull it out and not rebuild it. If you plan on keeping it it’s worth it. I have a thread here that shows parts and cost of most stuff. MY 2007

Tommy454 09-10-2021 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by hummerz (Post 387951)
How did the tranny die? RIP

Not sure.

Tommy454 09-10-2021 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by bronxteck (Post 387953)
could probably price one of these out https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...ermatic-4l75-e

What do you mean by price one of these out?

bronxteck 09-10-2021 10:21 AM

[QUOTE=Tommy454;387960]What do you mean by price one of these out?[/QUOTE
call one of the affiliate links the web page gives you? that is a upgraded 4l65e GM performance part with the supposed capacity of the 4l80 but in a smaller package with factory warranty. read the info.

Tommy454 09-10-2021 12:48 PM

[QUOTE=bronxteck;387964]

Originally Posted by Tommy454 (Post 387960)
What do you mean by price one of these out?[/QUOTE
call one of the affiliate links the web page gives you? that is a upgraded 4l65e GM performance part with the supposed capacity of the 4l80 but in a smaller package with factory warranty. read the info.

Any suggestions on a torque converter to go with this, with the size tires I have 38x 13.5x20A?

Doc Olds 09-10-2021 02:31 PM

You find a local reputable transmission shop, sit down with the owner and tell him you want to rebuild a solid performance Trans capable of handling what you have done to your H2, have them add in your choice of Monster Transmission parts..... like a Beast Sunshell and so on. Price it, call around. Your H2 is HEAVY and shaped like a brick. Your stock 4L60E can be built to handle way more HP/TQ than what your puppy is making, it is all a matter of $$. Now is a good time to think gears as well.

When you drive old stuff, you need to make friends with people that work on old stuff, like the Transmission Guy, Radiator Guy, Mechanic Guy, Ring and Pinion Guy, Head Milling Guy, etc.... This all used to be basic knowledge for gear heads back in the day. Now is your opportunity to hook up with the local performance Trans guru, not the slob fixin minivans.

When you drove a 400HP/530TQ Muscle car, you knew everybody you needed to help with things that were beyond just maintenance and parts swapping. I sure do. :D