PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H2 won't start, stalls, Key stuck, Stuck In park!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 01:58 PM
Default H2 won't start, stalls, Key stuck, Stuck In park!!!

This is an update from a previous posting - useful information if you have a problem.[/align][/align]For those with H2's. There are three problems that appear to occur rather often. These are:

The key will not come out of the ignition and therefore not allow you to park the truck.

The Truck will not shift out of PARK resulting in your inability to move or even easily tow the truck. [/align]
The truck either discharges its battery when the key is removed and/or the truck will not crank over and/or the truck will start and then just stall again.

Needless to say when any of these happen it is VERY aggravating.

There are some solutions to these problems to get you out of a bind. It is also pretty easy to fix the truck. Some can be done with no parts, the other needs a special part that cost about $40 at the dealership.

Tool list

Emergency tools-

For emergencies all you need is a Phillips screw driver. KEEP THIS TOOL IN YOUR TRUCK AT ALL TIMES. I suggest you buy a uni-tool and keep it in the truck.
It is also suggested to keep a small drill bit - 1/8 inch

Repair tools-

Phillps screw driver (the same as used for emergencies)
An allan wrench set
A knife
Some tape or preferably some small butt splices and a crimper
Some 24 ga. Stranded wire

Problem - I Can’t get the key out of the ignition!

Here is the procedure:

KEY PROBLEM – emergency extraction

For the key problem, you have two options. The first is to remove the bottom part of the steering wheel column cover. The second is to drill a small hole in the cover in a specific place (don’t worry the hole is on the bottom and you cant see it). The steering wheel column cover is the gray-black thing that covers the steering column between the wheel and the dash. It tilts up and down with the steering wheel.

If you don’t have the drill bit here is how to get the cover off:

Put the steering wheel tilt to the highest position.
Remove the steering wheel tilt **** by pulling it straight out.
Press the seam of the top and bottom plastic pieces of the cover inwards. You need to press hard enough to cause them to deflect enough to release the locking tabs that are on the inside which hold the halves together. Use this procedure on all sides, one at a time. They WILL come apart. If you can’t get them apart this way then you can break the part but it will cost you about $100 to get replacement parts.

If you have a drill bit (preferred method):

Put the steering wheel to the full up position:
Look under the steering wheel on the right side and look for an oval blemish in the plastic. This blemish is the spot where a plug was put into the plastic mold resulting in an imperfect surface finish.

Use the drill bit to bore a hole into the exact dead center of the oval. You can be off center a bit but try to keep it close to center. Once the hole is drilled adjust the drill angle so that you can insert the drill it straight up (rather than perpendicular to the plastic which is a curved surface).

Once you have the hole drilled or you have the cover off:
There is a gold /silver button at the bottom of the steering wheel assembly that is either in direct line with the hole you drill or can be seen just behind and under the key. This button needs to be pushed up. Once pushed they key will come out.

If you have the drill hole you can use a tooth pick, paper clip or the drill bit to push the button. The nice thing is that the button is in direct line with the hole so you don’t have to fish around very much. You can feel when you are pushing the button as it has about ½” of travel and has a weak spring trying to push back.

Now that the key is out, what next?
The problem will still exist next time you shut off the truck so keep the cover off or keep the drill bit handy.
To fix the causeof the problem you need to do the work descr

Old 04-22-2007, 04:08 PM
Default RE: H2 won't start, stalls, Key stuck, Stuck In park!!!

stickie it

Old 04-22-2007, 08:10 PM

Rather often? Had the truck since -03 and never had any of em happen :P

Old 08-15-2007, 03:47 PM

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! for this post....Came onto the boards looking specifically for this problem and was able to get the key out...my husband took apart the console and sure enough there was a broken wire!!

Thanks for the info...I was going CRAZY!

Jodie

Old 08-16-2007, 03:29 AM

ORIGINAL: ZYNE

Ditto!! Well except for '04!!

Old 08-16-2007, 09:24 AM

ORIGINAL: HummBob

Ditto!! Well except for '04!!
DITTO!!!!!!

if i get that problem i think ill install keyless ignition

Old 08-16-2007, 09:53 AM

That's not a bad idea pmalla .. except you have to put the key in the ignition to drive away LOL! So either way you will end up having to fix it ... sorry ... I'm running a special today on burst bubbles :-)

Old 08-16-2007, 12:14 PM

yea i know i would have to finish but eventually i would install keyless haha

Old 08-17-2007, 03:32 AM

That's not a bad idea pmalla .. except you have to put the key in the ignition to drive away LOL! So either way you will end up having to fix it ... sorry ... I'm running a special today on burst bubbles :-)
Now THAT'S FUNNY!!!!

Old 02-25-2008, 11:31 AM

I have a question regarding the vehicle being stuck in park. This is something I have been experiencing intermittently with my H2 lately. My question is, when this problems occurs as described in the above text, does this cause it so that you cant push the button on the shifter to unlock the transmission and allow you to move it out of park, or is it that you can push the button but the shifter wont move? On mine, when I experience a problem, I can't push the button on the shifter. It acts like it would if you didn't press in the brake pedal. It just wont move, causing me to be stuck in park. Plus my problem happens so randomly that I dont understand how it could be caused by a broken wire? Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: H2 won't start, stalls, Key stuck, Stuck In park!!!