PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

H2 wheel spacers

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 05:05 AM
Default H2 wheel spacers

I am looking to widen the stance of my h2 as the wheels are looking a bit lost under the arches. Does anyone have any experience with Spacer's and can recommend a set that won't be too much strain on the bearings.

Last edited by smileynialley; 02-06-2015 at 07:07 AM.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:26 AM

There's a number of threads about this already.
that being said, the general concensus seems to be that as long as the spacers are installed properly, you will be fine.
make sure you get the spacers with their own set of lugs pressed in.

I've been running 2" wheel spacers on and offroad for years and I have 40" tires. Never had a problem.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:42 AM

Might be a stupid question but I take it I still use my existing lug nuts to secure the wheel to the hub. The reason I ask is because the wheels I have needed an extra long lug nut because the powder coating meant that the socket wouldn't fit between the wheel and the lug.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:44 AM

For the 2.5" spacers I run, they come with their own lugs to secure the tire to the spacer. You use your standard lug nuts to attach the spacer to the hub.

Old 02-06-2015, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Reaper550
For the 2.5" spacers I run, they come with their own lugs to secure the tire to the spacer. You use your standard lug nuts to attach the spacer to the hub.
You run 2.5" spacers on a hummer?

And yes, you'll use your OEM lug nuts to attach the spacer to the hub. Then the spacers should come with lug nuts to attach the wheel to the spacer.

Old 02-06-2015, 05:42 PM

Here is my 2 cents
I have I think 1/4 wheels spacers on my Vette in the rear. Never had any issues but they are without "studs" (Lugs or Lug Nuts are what you screw onto the studs to secure them on).
They are thin enough that I am still using the OEM studs

Now I looked into this and was told that the larger spacers with the studs already pressed in will work, BUT they are not a set and forget part on your car.
I was told that they can back themselves off.
That you might check them to make sure that all the bolts from the hub to the spacer are tight and the same with the spacer to the wheel.
Many have told me that they have experienced their wheels coming off because of the lugs coming out. I mean we all know vibration can make things wiggle and back out.

So this is why I choose to go with wheels made to get more track width.
Dont get me wrong, you can be very successful as so have others with spacers and not upkeeping them, but I thought I would at least let you know the other side.
As you can see I have spacers for mine vehicles... just one that use the original studs not replaces them.

Hope this helps

Old 02-07-2015, 06:51 AM

LocTite specifically prevents the nuts
From vibrating off

Old 02-07-2015, 07:51 AM

Well I would be careful using Loctite on your wheel studs.
Two reasons:
1) It may help in causing the studs and lugs to seize. Sure ok, you use the blue stuff... but they still doesnt mean the stud and the lug might not LOCK Tight together. If you have ever had a seized bolt or stud, it is not a good thing. Usually most people use ani-seize on their studs just so they wont seize together.... now you are promoting this. Again, I am not saying it will or wont happen... just giving you all the facts.

2) The false sense of confidence you have that the little blue stuff is holding the lug on. So you never check it again... but the issue is that blue doesnt grip as hard as red, but its effective temp is like 300 degrees. If you have friction and addition pulling from a spacer or a back alignment or whatever, your components can go past that temp. I can saty that just driving with a defective hub caused every replaceable part (bolts included) to seize.

Again, I am not talking you out of it. I just want you to be aware that this might not be as simple as plopping on a part and thinking all is well, or covering up the studs in blue goo and thinking that everything is not going to cause a problem.
I have seen many people without spacers loose wheels and I have seen some that had spacers launch wheels too.
I am no expert, since recently I asked if they were safe since I too was thinking about a bolt on stud replacing spacer (since my spacer knowledge was only limited to what I call wheel shims (or spacers that are thin and use the original studs)), and I found alot.... Not I figured I would help you out see there are two sides.