Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

H2 sun visor removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 06:18 AM

Hi I'm searching a pair of 2003 to 2007 Hummer H2 OEM Right Sunshade Visor (Gray) left and right side my Hummer H2 is my 2003 and vin is 5GRGN23U83H119817
Please can you also check for shipping price to Italy? If is a problem to ship in Italy I have some friends in Usa who can help me
Best Regards
Vittorio Zanini

Old 07-07-2012, 04:08 PM

I'm trying to remove my sun visors, 2003 h2, and this technique is really not working for me. They won't budge at all. Any other tips??

Old 07-07-2012, 04:09 PM

The visor elbow will not push up no matter how hard I push.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:00 PM
Banned

I couldnt get that thing off. What a bunch of hooey. How about hummer just use screws like everybody else! Good grief!!!

Old 02-16-2017, 09:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dowork
The visor elbow will not push up no matter how hard I push.
Same here. This dang visor setup is just stupid period. So frustrated here. Went through the sunroof to replace the clamp on my sunroof drain.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:51 AM

LOL yeah, the by far, most maddening and stupid visor mounting I have ever personally encountered. I had to remove mine. I ended up using a rubber mallet to get the elbow to push in which did work but I still ended up breaking some of the crap up inside of the mounting.

My passenger side one now has a single screw to keep it in place which actually works great and is barely visible. It takes a pretty long screw too - I think its about 2-1/2" long. I drilled a tiny hole first. On removing the pass side the whole mount eventually started spinning and it shredded the headliner around the hole. Really not a big deal though since on mine the entire headliner needs replacing anyways which I plan on doing in the next couple of months and having the screw in the one does make that one much easier to remove. I'll be doing the same to the drivers side one but I'm going to try the rubber mallet on that one first to see if I can get it to budge. With the mallet give it a bit of a tap right on the corner of the elbow and it should push in. I discovered that trying to push it up/in by hand was an exercise in futility on mine.

Even with the ting completely out I cannot really figure how it would ever remove "nicely". Here is a pic of where I drilled and installed a screw in mine. When I redo the headliner (it was already hanging down in places) I'll paint the screw to match a bit better and will probably get a lower profile screw to use. I just grabbed what I had handy at the moment I put it back up. Of course when drilling (or if using a self drilling screw) make sure to not use a bit or screw that is so long that you drill through the roof! There is a secondary metal sheet spaced an inch or so from the actual roof right where I put the screw which is what you are drilling into. Its holds fine too. On removing the visor some of the plastic bits up above that retain it in place simply broke off so it was this or spend a ton an a replacement visor.

Attached Thumbnails  H2 sun visor removal-img_0839.jpg  
Old 02-20-2017, 10:32 AM
Banned

Looks like a good fix MixMan. Probably how they should have installed it in the first place

Old 02-20-2017, 11:35 AM

Had I not mangled the plastic on that one it would look near stock with the single mounting screw. I'm going to do the drivers side one the same way. I also got a couple of lower profile automotive style trim screws to use instead of the larger head stainless screw with the ring for the head shown in that pic. Of course the mangled headliner does not help but as I mentioned, that needs replacing anyways. There are other spots in the headliner from the prior owner that are worse.

Old 02-20-2017, 11:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MixManSC
Had I not mangled the plastic on that one it would look near stock with the single mounting screw. I'm going to do the drivers side one the same way. I also got a couple of lower profile automotive style trim screws to use instead of the larger head stainless screw with the ring for the head shown in that pic. Of course the mangled headliner does not help but as I mentioned, that needs replacing anyways. There are other spots in the headliner from the prior owner that are worse.
Did my headliner on my old Yukon at a local mom and pops shop. 250 USD. The local shops do decent work for the price. Only casualty was a broken overhead lamp housing. Will do H2 soon as the front cloth is pulling away a bit from the HL body. May be cheaper as most panels just snap on and off. Headliner is velcro'ed (hook loop connectors) at certain places to keep it in place. I would love to see how they pull the visors off when they do it.LOL One look at the visors they might refuse the job haha

Old 02-22-2017, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by MixManSC

Even with the thing completely out I cannot really figure how it would ever remove "nicely".
Pushing the visor and elbow "up and in" suppresses the three white clips that hold the visor to the secondary sheet metal behind the headliner board. The issues is that the plastic gets hard with age and heat increasing friction of those clips making it difficult to push up.

If you can work with it then once out, you can put a drop of fine machine oil on each tab to suppress those tabs in advance of the re-install. Then push visor in firmly back in to the roof while pulling the elbow back out of housing will allow the clips to spring back and install correctly.