PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H2 out of action - engine swap question

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 08:04 PM
Cool H2 out of action - engine swap question

Hello everyone - I have a quick question hoping someone may have looked into this before

My beloved 2007 H2 seems to have developed a terminal issue with the Engine and I'm just about to swap the engine. We love the car which has been totally optioned up so no chance of swapping etc. etc. we are absolutely keeping the '07.

My question is that I noticed one of the biggest changes in the very next model year from mine was to the 6.2L V8 with a claim of better fuel efficiency plus 80+ HP it even drops the 0-60 time by nearly two seconds. Has anyone attempted to install one of the 2008+ Engines into a 2007? Is it possible?

I intend to buy the Engine via GM since it comes with a 3yr warranty and I'm pretty sure they will tell me it's not possible but I wanted to check with the group - is this an option? I'm paying close to $10k to get this done so if I can get another 80 HP I'm thinking it's worth asking?

Many thanks!

--m3cruz

Old 03-01-2015, 10:15 PM

Here's some stuff to take note of.

The computer, wiring harness, fuse box, cluster, etc don't work out of the box. You'll have a lot of work to do to get them working. It can be done, but the labor might be extremely expensive, if you can find a competent mechanic.

The efficiency is better, but not amazing. I had a 2003 H2 that got 18mpg @ 45mph. I get about 22-23 mpg at 50mph right now in my 2009.

Is it worth it? I don't know, but I will say this... it might be a lot better to get a custom 6.0L built that puts out the same HP/Torque numbers. Labor should be a lot less. I'd upgrade the transmission to a 4L80e to handle the added power. It's a much less painful upgrade & probably will yield better efficiency & 0-60 times. Unless you do a lot of interstate driving, move up from the 4.10 gears to 4.56. That'll really help w/ the stop & start driving, but hurt your interstate MPG.

I'd mention to go with an LBZ Duramax & Allison transmission, but you're looking at $30k.

Back to the gasser, the 6.0 can be built to get 400hp-450hp much more cheaply than a total rebuild + all of the work to make it functional in your h2. At least that's what I gather from googling around. It's a good engine & a stronger tranny will help deal w/ the added power. 500hp+ might be more of a challenge, but you can easily do better than my stock engine without spending as much.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:31 PM

I have an 08 with the 6.2 and came from an 04 with 6.0. The 6.2 does feel much more powerful but not powerful enough for what it will cost you to have it installed. Easier to build up 6.0.

Old 03-02-2015, 12:23 AM
Default Engine 2007 or 2008

Thanks both for your quick replies, I need to make a call on this in the next 24 hours as it's a daily driver and off the road now.

So it sounds like it wouldn't be a plug & play deal to swap in the 6.2 and this is likely not to be something the dealer would ever consider doing for us. Have you ever read anyone doing this?

Yep I watched the Duramax videos too looks amazing to have that option but even on top of the Engine replacement it'd still be an *additional* $20k and that's too rich for me - now if I could do the Duramax for $15k and a new gas is $9-$10k then it would be a different discussion, but the good shops seem to all be ~$30k for that work.

So I'm leaning toward getting the new 6.0 engine which should give our pride & joy a new lease on life (& have at least a warranty on that element) and if we really wanted to, we could tweak it down the line to get better performance. It's used for a combination of daily driving (wife doing school runs), offroad for camping trips & weekend fun so not a huge amount of long distance / interstate we have a (Diesel) Gas Guzzling RV for that purpose.

Any/all ideas welcome

--m3cruz

Old 03-02-2015, 01:15 AM

Not sure who to go to for this, but I don't think I'd go to a GM dealership with this. They'll charge you triple what it's worth. Might as well go diesel at that point.

Know of any mechanics who can do this for you for a fair price? Most likely a speed shop or any place that specializes in engines could do the work much cheaper & probably with higher quality. I would be leery of any dealership, especially if you plan on modifying the engine. I doubt they'll warranty anything that's not stock.

I know I'm not knowledgeable enough to say what you need for the build, so I won't tell you specifically what you need. I'd do some googling & see what parts are needed to do the build. At least get an idea of what it entails.

Here's an example (after some short googling):
You get the LQ4 @ 460HP/470 Torque. You've got me beat by 67hp/55 torque. I'm not sure what else you need & what can be recycled. You're looking at $3600 + shipping
Link

Here's another link via ebay: Ebay link

As you can see, it needs parts:
Engine Assembly Style:Long block
Crate Engine Cylinder Head Material:Aluminum
Assembled:Yes
Engine Balance:Internal
Intake Manifold Included:No
Cylinder Heads Included:Yes
Carburetor Included:No
Throttle Body Included:No
Distributor Included:No
Oil Pan Included:No
Valve Covers Included:No
Timing Cover Included:No
Water Pump Included:No
Harmonic Balancer Included:No
Flexplate Included:No
Flywheel Included:No
Air Cleaner Included:No
Spark Plugs Included:No
Spark Plug Wires Included:No
Computer Included:No
Wiring Harness Included:No
Rear Main Seal Style:1-piece
Tuning the OEM computer will be required when installing this engine.
As to what you can recycle, like I mentioned earlier, I don't know. I'd imagine, most could be reused.

If you want a turn key, google lq4 turnkey. As well, it looks like the LQ9 is the same thing as the LQ4: Link
That might help widen your search.

As well, figure out what upgrades or tranny swaps this would entail.

I know it's a lot to hit you with. Hopefully someone can shine a lot more light on the topic than I can.

If I am wrong on ANY of this info, someone please correct me!

Old 03-02-2015, 01:28 AM
Default H2 custom engine

Thanks mate and you are right it's a lot to take in

Right now I have a bird-in-the-hand as the saying goes, local dealer has replacement engine in stock ready to go and I can be driving again by next weekend. I was pausing to see if I am missing a trick by not dumping in the 6.2L one-year-later engine.

So it seems like one other alternative is to put in a totally different engine like the LS2 one you quoted below. Is this something that folks here are doing? I have been scouring the forums and I see a number of Duramax conversions plus some stroking of the stock engine plus a bunch of tranny adjustments but no motor swaps... any one out there who can say that worked out well? Bonus points if located in California!

--m3cruz

Old 03-02-2015, 09:01 AM
Default crate and supercharge it

I would crate or rebuild the engine you have now, if your transmission is not broke don't fix it. If you want more power; magnuisun supercharge it. Cost is 5600 plus about 850 to install. Total rebuild engine 3000. there is your 10K

Old 03-02-2015, 10:56 AM

[QUOTE=m3cruz;323922]Hello everyone - I have a quick question hoping someone may have looked into this before

My beloved 2007 H2 seems to have developed a terminal issue with the Engine and I'm just about to swap the engine. We love the car which has been totally optioned up so no chance of swapping etc. etc. we are absolutely keeping the '07.

My question is that I noticed one of the biggest changes in the very next model year from mine was to the 6.2L V8 with a claim of better fuel efficiency plus 80+ HP it even drops the 0-60 time by nearly two seconds. Has anyone attempted to install one of the 2008+ Engines into a 2007? Is it possible?

I intend to buy the Engine via GM since it comes with a 3yr warranty and I'm pretty sure they will tell me it's not possible but I wanted to check with the group - is this an option? I'm paying close to $10k to get this done so if I can get another 80 HP I'm thinking it's worth asking?

Hello, what happened with your engine and what was the mileage of your truck before something happened with it? Your Hummer it's not so old.

Old 03-02-2015, 01:05 PM
Default Mileage

Thanks for asking the mileage is around 120k and she is rock solid has never let us down but there is a ticking sound lasts for a while after starting and goes away when fully warmed up (15-20 mins maybe) the mechanic says cause of the noise is unknown but there is an oil pump needs replacing ($1k) and to get in there and find the issue is going to be $2k before any parts. Then they started quoting parts that could be replaced and that if one of several issues were found then a new motor would be needed plus I am already $$$ down

I am not a mechanic don't know if I am being fed a line. I have no idea who is a reputable place in the SF Bay Area who works Engines the couple of places I called said they didn't do Hummers due to size...

Old 03-02-2015, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by 2006sut
I would crate or rebuild the engine you have now, if your transmission is not broke don't fix it. If you want more power; magnuisun supercharge it. Cost is 5600 plus about 850 to install. Total rebuild engine 3000. there is your 10K
When you say 'crate' my engine what do you mean? I have seen where you can buy an engine in a crate but that comment threw me?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: H2 out of action - engine swap question