PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H2 2005 reduced engine power.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 05:35 PM
Default H2 2005 reduced engine power.

2005 Hummer H2 with 92K miles. Aftermarket tires and wheels same size as factory.

This summer on the way to a race pulling a small trailer I was headed up a hill it was 110deg and I got a reduced engine power msg and check engine light. Had to disconnect battery to get it going again after searching the internet on the side of the road it about the only thing I found was overheat problem. That was not the problem with mine. Went on to the races and 25 miles from home it did it again and I cycled the key a few times and on my way again. It didn't happen again for over a month. It did it again and just noticed it just seamed to do it when I was going up hill with a trailer. Well it didn't happen again for a couple more months. Now it is doing it without a trailer and more often.

Here is what I noticed it will do it with or without cruise on, when it does it and it reduced to 1500rpm if I give it more than just a little gas it runs really rough.

I have not pulled the codes and I need some input on what code reader is a good one.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I plan on getting a code reader this weekend. I have looked at proscan and other pc based ones. I would like one that will save more data than just codes. I would like to buy from a local shop so if anyone knows of a brand that is available from shops that would be great.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:37 PM

as far as have seen it can be several things but the most common problem is the tps sensor. this is about 80% of the time the problem that i have seen . it tells the truck how much throttle you are giving it. a scan tool can help you with this .

Old 12-15-2011, 08:20 PM

Without codes it's Impossible to diagnose!

Old 12-15-2011, 08:39 PM

Can someone give me some input on a good scanner

Old 12-15-2011, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by jasonsdad
Can someone give me some input on a good scanner
You can get your code for free. Go to pep boys..... They will scan it for you...Any 0bd2 scanner can pull codes. I have a acuter & a sweet craftsman one that goes into depth of what's wrong & live streaming. Also tells if monitors are set for emissions.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:54 PM

sorry i never bought a ,after market one . i own a snap on scanner it reads codes and gives data out put. for a quick thing for you to do is go to advance auto or auto zone they can scan for codes for free. this can point you in the right direction .they even sell code readers there as well.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:31 AM

What code am I looking for that would point to the tps. And are you meaning the one on the pedal or the throttle body itself.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:39 AM

I am getting a P2135 code.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:37 PM

that code is a tps code . in most cases if it was the gas peddle it would have had a p1238 the app sensor out of sync. your code says that the tps and the app sensor is out of sync. the app senor is the peddle .you have to find some one with a data scanner and look at them both . as you push the gas down they will climb up at the same time. they must match , the one that doesnt move or jumps up and down is the bad guy. i just hope it does it during the test . i hope i helped you .

Old 12-17-2011, 09:37 AM

Well I changed the throttle body unit with the TPS and everything and took it for a test drive and tried my best to do it again (could get it to do it easy last night) and it didn't do it at all. Thanks everyone for the help.

Quick Reply: H2 2005 reduced engine power.