PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Get Up the Hill

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 12:05 AM
Default Get Up the Hill

Question.....I have '07 H2. LOVE IT!!!
However, living in Phoenix I often travel "up the hill" to Flagstaff (or other places up North) and struggle with keeping speed while going up the steeper grades on the freeway. My H2 has almost 150k miles on it, and I know it's a pretty heavy vehicle at over 3 tons. Any suggestions on how to grab more power from this massive engine?

Some have suggested "chipping" the engine, or a cold air intake (which would expose the engine to the elements more).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!!!

Old 03-21-2019, 05:40 AM

How many miles on transmission it may be slipping

Old 03-21-2019, 06:47 AM

The engine is an LS based 6.0l and very capable,

Its all based on money as to how much power you want, a good place to start would be the exhaust as adding headers and a full true dual system will help a lot. Next I would look into an ECM tune by someone that knows what they are doing. If you want more then look at gears next which will shift the RPM's higher during cruise.

Altitude effects all NA engines which can benefit from forced induction but money is key

Neal

Old 03-21-2019, 07:11 AM

Get a custom tune. You can also mail order a tune from Black Bear or something like that.

I had mine done a few years ago, mileage increased and I can run with anything on the road.

Tim

Old 03-21-2019, 07:14 AM

Cold air intake will make some noise (just replacing the intake tube has the same effect) but adds somewhere between 0 to 1 additional horsepower. Same as on the GM trucks, the factory air intake box is actually already an excellent and well engineered cold air intake that pulls air from the fender cavity.

Neal has the best advise. Bang for the buck, long tube headers combined with a good custom tune make a huge difference. The custom tunes also adjust the transmission shift points making that part much better as well. For mail order - get an Intune and pay Lewis for a custom tune. Well worth it. https://www.diablewtune.com/ He also sells the Intune devices but you can find them used pretty regular on SilveradoSierra, eBay, etc for about $225 or so.

Also make sure things are tuned up. If its on the original spark plug wires its probably a good idea to replace those. On plugs I will only recommend the factory AC Delco 41-110 plugs. Seafoam the throttle body and intake. Get a can of the proper spray cleaner for the maf as well. Just these few tuneup things can make a significant difference.

The hills will always have you shifting some though. With the 4 speed trans that is just how it goes. Only other option is an 08/09 model with the 6L80 trans instead. In your climate and with the frequent hills I'd also very strongly suggest an external transmission cooler and bypass the radiator integrated one. Heat is a big enemy of the transmissions we have which are already somewhat of a weak point on our H2's. If you ever do blow the trans a rebuilt one can be beefed up some as well to better deal with the sheer weight of our rides.

Old 03-21-2019, 12:04 PM

Thank you....EVERYONE, for your input. Have some research to do, and this was a great help!!!! I appreciate it

Old 03-24-2019, 03:33 PM

I am in AZ myself and that trip up north absolutely kills everything unless you have some major horsepower. I've taken my 2 up there many times and I usually manually shift to keep the RPMs high which I don't particularly like doing but it keeps the speed up. The so called "chips" are garbage for the most part. Many just trick the rig into thinking it has cooler air coming in than it really does. If you go with a real full tune keep us posted. As the gents above mentioned, if you are going that far into it with LTs and a major intake then definitely do a tune. I have a Volant intake with a Doc tube modified to work with the box, stock exhaust manifolds and no tune but I am looking at doing LTs just because I like tinkering with my old lady lol.

Old 03-25-2019, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
Cold air intake will make some noise (just replacing the intake tube has the same effect) but adds somewhere between 0 to 1 additional horsepower. Same as on the GM trucks, the factory air intake box is actually already an excellent and well engineered cold air intake that pulls air from the fender cavity.

Neal has the best advise. Bang for the buck, long tube headers combined with a good custom tune make a huge difference. The custom tunes also adjust the transmission shift points making that part much better as well. For mail order - get an Intune and pay Lewis for a custom tune. Well worth it. https://www.diablewtune.com/ He also sells the Intune devices but you can find them used pretty regular on SilveradoSierra, eBay, etc for about $225 or so.

Also make sure things are tuned up. If its on the original spark plug wires its probably a good idea to replace those. On plugs I will only recommend the factory AC Delco 41-110 plugs. Seafoam the throttle body and intake. Get a can of the proper spray cleaner for the maf as well. Just these few tuneup things can make a significant difference.

The hills will always have you shifting some though. With the 4 speed trans that is just how it goes. Only other option is an 08/09 model with the 6L80 trans instead. In your climate and with the frequent hills I'd also very strongly suggest an external transmission cooler and bypass the radiator integrated one. Heat is a big enemy of the transmissions we have which are already somewhat of a weak point on our H2's. If you ever do blow the trans a rebuilt one can be beefed up some as well to better deal with the sheer weight of our rides.
Thanks, MixManSC - I just pulled the trigger on a custom tune after brief exchange w/ Lewis. Looking forward to improvements in drivability.

Last edited by skiracer; 03-25-2019 at 11:16 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-25-2019, 11:21 AM

Skiracer.....please let me know how it goes.

Looking forward to hearing what you get out of it.

Thanks!!!!

Old 03-25-2019, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Peet23
Skiracer.....please let me know how it goes.

Looking forward to hearing what you get out of it.

Thanks!!!!
Will do, but it may take a few weeks to receive the unit and follow the multi-step procedure

Quick Reply: Get Up the Hill