PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel mods

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 08:31 PM
Default Fuel mods

Hello I'm new to the forum from Toronto, I currently drive a 2008 Chrysler 300C Heritage edition that I've owned for 7 years and I'm within a year of replacing it. I'm thinking of going with a H2 but am very interested in what fuel mods people have done or tried like diesel motor swap, propane or natural gas fuel mod ect.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:04 AM

I have no idea on propane although I'm sure it can be done. I've not seen any off the shelf kits specific for an H2 although I'm pretty sure there are for any number of the GM HD Pickups that could be adapted. Also no idea if anyone has tried it on an H2 although I'm sure someone probably has.

Natural gas, not likely at all. That is a whole different animal as it requires far far higher pressures and good luck finding a place to fill it up. I've never seen an NG kit as an off the shelf thing for a passenger vehicle before. I've seen it on some commercial fleets like buses (some of our older city buses here were NG powered) but again, whole different animal and finding a place to get fueled up would not be easy.

Diesel swaps to the Duramax engines are available and done but its a very extensive project to attempt on your own. That being said - totally awesome when done right. Killer fuel economy, a 2WD mode (doing burnouts and donuts in an H2 - you can find it on youtube), etc. Due to the very extensive nature of the conversion it is not at all and easy swap to try on your own. You will have to engineer and fabricate a good bit of the front end mounting stuff. Then a large part of the wiring harness from the donor vehicle needs to be moved over and integrated in related to the transfer case, transmission, and engine. This must all be integrated in with the remaining parts of the harness that is kept like all of the BCM, DDM, PDM, etc.

Most opt to have the conversion done by a shop who has done many of the conversions and has a proven record of getting it done right. Costs around 25k to 35k to have the conversion done including parts and labor.... Just google Hummer H2 Diesel conversion and you will find plenty of info on it. One company that sort of started the conversions does sell a kit for the DIY type to tackle it on their own which would save you from having to engineer and fabricate all the mounts, etc from scratch. That kit will still cost you $12,500 and does not include the donor drivetrain.

There are basically 4 companies that are known for the conversions. H-Line (who is also the one that sells the DIY kit), Predator Inc., Mash Motors, and Duramax Suburbans.

Last edited by MixManSC; 06-19-2017 at 07:06 AM.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:35 AM

Thanks MixMan awesome info