PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

engine cooling fan

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 08:58 PM
Default engine cooling fan

I,m hoping that you guys can help me to understand how the cooling fan works on the H2. I have read some other posts here about noisy fans etc. I understand that ours is an engine driven fan and not electric. Does this fan operate all the time? Does the fan speed increase with engine speed?Does the fan speed increase with engine temp. regardless of engine speed? Just trying to learn as much as possible about this awesome truck. My last vehicle had electric fans. Thanks

Old 10-08-2007, 09:06 PM
Default RE: engine cooling fan

The fan on the H2 is a clutch fan.

This means that it is operated by a clutch that locks up when it get a high temp from the engine and rad.

When the motor is cold, it should let the fan "slip" so it does not rob engine power.

The problem with the noise is the design of the fan I think. When the clutch is "locked", that fan makes a hell of a noise!

Mine does this at start up for about a minute, then goes away until the temp kicks it in again.

Hope this helps ya

Old 10-08-2007, 09:14 PM

After I changed the plugs the other day I started the truck to make sure everything was connected and I was surprised to see the fan running on a cold engine but as you,re saying it is driven by the engine. This was the first time starting the truck with the hood open.

Old 10-09-2007, 04:53 AM

i tell ya what,i put electric on my 72,and i couldnt believe the power gain i go,it was like night and day

Old 10-09-2007, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

Hilljob: DVader was offering a happy meal coupon to the first on the Forums to convert the H3 to electric fan(s)! Something to think about?

Old 12-29-2017, 03:05 PM

I wanted to know the following from what I have read from these posts < I may had the wrong fan clutch put in as my truck is doing exactly the Loud Noise! so I need to go back and ask what clutch fan was put in and if they can actually change it for a GM OEM part ? Can someone please let me know which is the GM Product I have to ask them to change it to! that NOISE is .......Please Help ! will it cause damage to the Engine or NOT?????

Old 01-01-2018, 10:03 AM

Not going to cause any engine damage. If the fan was replaced the new clutch will be a bit tighter for a while as it settles in. Yes - when its cold and first started they tend to lock up for a couple of minutes and when its hot and they fully lock up they are quite loud. Sounds like a dang school bus. lol

Really not in the scope of this thread and other have already done it, just have to search to find the info but some have converted theirs to electric fans from an HD GM Pickup which is what I'm going to do. To do it as truly stock its a somewhat complicated project though and requires a custom tune on the engine computer to activate the fans just like they do on the trucks. There is also several variations of the electric fans GM used on the pickups. Only the most powerful version will be able to provide close to the same cooling ability as the engine driven clutch fan.

Many that have installed the electric fans have said that they do not cool the engine as well, especially when towing, so that is something to consider as well.

Old 01-01-2018, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
Not going to cause any engine damage. If the fan was replaced the new clutch will be a bit tighter for a while as it settles in. Yes - when its cold and first started they tend to lock up for a couple of minutes and when its hot and they fully lock up they are quite loud. Sounds like a dang school bus. lol

Really not in the scope of this thread and other have already done it, just have to search to find the info but some have converted theirs to electric fans from an HD GM Pickup which is what I'm going to do. To do it as truly stock its a somewhat complicated project though and requires a custom tune on the engine computer to activate the fans just like they do on the trucks. There is also several variations of the electric fans GM used on the pickups. Only the most powerful version will be able to provide close to the same cooling ability as the engine driven clutch fan.

Many that have installed the electric fans have said that they do not cool the engine as well, especially when towing, so that is something to consider as well.

I've been thinking more about this lately and would love to do a full stockish type install that you speak of but honestly I can remember running electric fans on my old muscle cars with the temperature probe in the radiator and never had an issue with them. I've thought about doing the same on my rig. I never tow anything so not worried about overheating. Pair an electric fan and an all aluminum radiator and you'd be set!

Old 02-19-2018, 01:28 PM

The fan on the H2 is a clutch fan.

Old 02-19-2018, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Mynorsky
I wanted to know the following from what I have read from these posts < I may had the wrong fan clutch put in as my truck is doing exactly the Loud Noise! so I need to go back and ask what clutch fan was put in and if they can actually change it for a GM OEM part ? Can someone please let me know which is the GM Product I have to ask them to change it to! that NOISE is .......Please Help ! will it cause damage to the Engine or NOT?????
WOW!!! This is an OLD FRIGGIN THREAD to dig up.

Quick Reply: engine cooling fan