PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivers side air bag replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 10:26 AM
Default Drivers side air bag replacement?

Hey all,
I am curious if there are instructions or advice when it comes to the drivers side steering wheel air bag.
I had a faulty sensor and it caused the air bag to deploy.
Because of this, I need to get a new air bag (btw, if anyone knows of anywhere I can get one pretty cheap please let me know!!!) and then of course, I will need to install it.
Any help with this, I would really be thankful

Old 12-09-2018, 04:39 PM

What year? I have a black one (original style with the molded in logo, not the layer style with the glued on one).... they are extremely easy to replace.

Edit to add - this is the one I have.... https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...54/#post344372

I bought a tan one on eBay for the two tone look that was actually stock on some H2's. This video shows how its removed

It literally only takes a few minutes. It is recommended to remove the negative battery cable but you can also just pull the airbag fuse so you dont have to reset everything on your radio...

Last edited by MixManSC; 12-09-2018 at 07:22 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:23 PM

I have a 2003 moulded in logo in black.
Do you have one for sale? if so let me know?
Thanks. I just finished up my radio button install... looks great thanks BTW
Thanks for all the help

BTW, have you heard of air bag sensors going bad or having a fault in them and the air bag going off?

Old 12-10-2018, 12:49 PM

I've never heard of that happening with an air bag sensor or really anything causing one to go off like that other than potentially working on something and inadvertently applying power to some of the wiring for an airbag.

Anyways I just checked and they are $50 on eBay and you then have a choice of color or style. You can go with a different color or go with the style that has the round H2 badge instead of the molded in lettering. I'm not really wanting to sell the one I have for any less so may as well just grab one you like on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Hummer+H2 +airbag+driver&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sop=15&_os acat=0&_odkw=Hummer+airbag

On a side note - I swapped mine for the two tone look that was seemingly random as stock on H2's. I think they look nice that way. I also swapped my steering wheel with a wood Escalade wheel.

Here is one of the Escalade steering wheels.... that is actually a great price for one in good shape! https://www.ebay.com/itm/312330730090

Photo of one that came stock with a tan air bag on the wheel... I like the look myself.

Last edited by MixManSC; 12-10-2018 at 12:52 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:42 AM

wow thanks MicMan, you just seem to keep being a great source of info.
BTW, what kind of center console lid in that in the pic? definitely doesnt look like the one i have

Old 12-11-2018, 12:07 PM

Lol - I have no idea.... That was just a pic I found online. Mine console lid is not like that either. That one looks to have an extra ridge on the top as well as the inset part looks like it is dark grey. Also has perforated leather on the steering wheel, shifter handle, and door grab. Must be custom I guess.

This is a pic of my actual wheel with the wood and leather wheel with a tan airbag.... Actually now that I think of it my steering wheel came from an Envoy Denali. The Envoy ones have the extra little chrome trim rings between the leather and wood sections. The Escalade and other GM truck and SUV ones dont have those.

Old 12-11-2018, 01:37 PM

MixMan, do you know if they make steering wheels without the radio control buttons? (The ones just at 3 & 9)
When I do my stereo I am thinking of getting rid of the steering controls for the radio

If they don't make a steering wheel like that, do they sell a blank or hole plug for them? I saw someone ask this same question not to long ago and didn't get an answer. Hopefully the mighty mind of the MixMan can help. 😁

Old 12-11-2018, 05:19 PM

I know they make steering wheels with NO controls but I dont think they made one with the lower controls only. Easy enough to have them work with most any aftermarket stereo though. Mine work great with my Kenwood. Just had to get an extra adapter.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
I've never heard of that happening with an air bag sensor or really anything causing one to go off like that other than potentially working on something and inadvertently applying power to some of the wiring for an airbag.

Anyways I just checked and they are $50 on eBay and you then have a choice of color or style. You can go with a different color or go with the style that has the round H2 badge instead of the molded in lettering. I'm not really wanting to sell the one I have for any less so may as well just grab one you like on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...=Hummer+airbag

On a side note - I swapped mine for the two tone look that was seemingly random as stock on H2's. I think they look nice that way. I also swapped my steering wheel with a wood Escalade wheel.

Here is one of the Escalade steering wheels.... that is actually a great price for one in good shape! https://www.ebay.com/itm/312330730090

Photo of one that came stock with a tan air bag on the wheel... I like the look myself.

MIxMan and CSI, I would like to say I believe the center console lid is that from a Silverado of the same year
Hope that helps

Old 12-12-2018, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by MixManSC

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...=Hummer+airbag

Hey MixMan, Thanks for the info, but could you resend or look up that link again (or at least give me the search criteria). I click on the link and it just takes me to eBay, but no definition listings. When I type in "Hummer H2 air bag", I get a bunch of listings but all were 200+ dollars or more for used ones. I am sure you understand that I would prefer to spend 50 dollars (like you mentioned) than 200+ dollars for the exact same part.
Thanks for helping me out.
again
and again
and again
and again

Quick Reply: Drivers side air bag replacement?