PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

CRAZY ELECTrICAL PROBLEM NEED HELP BAD!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 02:02 PM
Default CRAZY ELECTrICAL PROBLEM NEED HELP BAD!

I have a 2003 hummer H2 and recently one day the front windows wouldnt go down or up, the rearview mirror didnt display anymore temp info etc. It came and went a couple times like this. It was fine for about a month then all of a sudden again on New Years it happend again only this time I could not get the car in reverrse or any other gear, the button on gear shift wouldnt release to push in. after a few quick hits to the center council it released. Couple more weeks go buy and now im at walgreens and the windows and everything go out again and cant get into gear again. The interior lights in the truck are all on but really really dim. The hits to center consoe did not work this time but for some reason if i hit the button on the dashboard by the headlight **** on and off it allowed me to get into gear. Onlly now it made a horrible ticking sound. So in order for the sound to go away I needed to manually turn on the headlights.

In conclusion I have to hit the button by the lights I think its daytime running or fog lights or something to get the car out of gear and then turn the headlights on manually to stop the horrible sound and drive. This whole time I never have a problem with backwindows, starting the truck, the voltage reads 14 and the whole cluster is on and working perfectly. ANy ideas????? THANKs I dont think my mechanic can handle this from the look on his face when he saw what I had to do to get in gear and the noise it was making.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:43 PM

I had a similar problem in a Suburban that I owned a couple of years ago. The issue was intermittent and wide spread throughout multiple control systems. (The door locks would cycle while driving, windows wouldn't work, dome lights would flicker, dash would flicker, relays would chatter, etc.)

I found the rubber boot in the hinge of the driverside door that acts as a channel for the wiring harness had slid back and exposed the wires inside. The act of opening and closing the door had cause a small abrasion on a couple of the wires insulation. This then caused an intermittent short.

The biggest thing in common that I noticed between the two problems is that we both had to press the dome light override button as a work around.

A little electrical tape around the affected wires and reseating the rubber boot cured the problem. Frustrating as all hell to diagnose, but incredibly easy to fix.

Hope this helps.

Dan

Old 01-12-2013, 03:48 PM

One more note...check this on all doors. It could be any of them. I can send a picture if my explanation isn't clear.

Good luck

Dan

Old 01-12-2013, 03:50 PM

Thanks !!! I will investigate and post.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:42 PM

So got it back from mechanic and said a bunch of grounds were crossed and there was voltage running through them and there was also some water issues with leaks getting to electrical parts. It worked fine for 3 days now I go to carwash and before getting in I roll window down and all interior electric shutoff again. Only way it comes back is to turn interior lights on. Totally jacked thank god I know if it does it turn the interior lights on real quick and the truck will release gear shift. So mechanic says he wants to replace bcm. Does that sound like it would solve this issue. Door wires seem to be fine too...thanks

Old 01-20-2013, 08:12 PM

I am having the same problem with the locks, Im starting to think this thing has a mind of its own. Every time I his a bump my door lock unlock and then locks again. It is driving me nuts.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:52 PM

Sounds like you need to have someone evaluate the water issue first, then the wiring issue, then the BCM. I wouldn't do it in any other order.