PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Cargo loading assist hoist concept

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 04:57 PM
Default Cargo loading assist hoist concept

As my wife and primary driver of "Rusty" is on the petite side and disabled, I though of a way for her to load heavier items into the rear of the H2.

I was thinking of using heavy exhaust tubing shaped like a roll bar in the cargo area with a small 12vdc hoist/winch mounted top center rear that would feed a braided line to a pulley centered in the overhead. I figured to remove the inside tire mount (I have an outside carrier) and install front to rear cross-bars just higher than the wheel well covers (we use those areas for storage of emergency gear).
She can get the spare off the outside mount and change a tire, but could never get it back on, therefore she could winch it into the truck with this mod. Also, She bowls, and we are looking for an inline hard case w/wheels for her equipment (3 15# bowling ***** and other assorted stuff). This would also work for this using a wrap-around strap to hoist it into the truck.
What do you think? I can do regular tubing, but getting it bent may be a little more costly.
MikeH