PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Cannot fix wind noise at front doors! HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 10:25 AM
Default Cannot fix wind noise at front doors! HELP

I have taken the advise of some previous postings suggesting putting new foam tape under the plastic pillar moldings. I have done so at the top of the door as well. I still have loud wind noise!

* Can these doors be adjusted?
* Although the rubber seals look good, is it possible they need to be replaced?

I would appreciate the advise of those who have been able to get this problem fixed.

Thank you!

Old 04-28-2013, 02:03 PM

Check your outside black plastic covers on on the outside vertical posts. These go over the sides of the windshield, around the front post and screw into the post forward of the front door. They come loose and are extremely noisy. There are several posts on this here. I removed them and used black windshield silicon while others used double sided tape.

Old 04-28-2013, 04:00 PM

I also used a bead of black silicone on mine and it worked perfectly.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:56 PM
Default wind noise

I had the same issue. Easily remedied............

My route that I went was with the foam strips that you use for arcadia doors, windows, etc around the house. They have various thicknesses and have a row of sticky film on one side. These can be purchased at any Walmart or hardware store very cheap. These foam strips come in a package as a roll that you use and cut as you need for each project.

The noise you are hearing is coming from the black plastic pillars on the OUTSIDE by the windshield. (they are called "A" pillars) These are easily removed with 2 screws. Once removed, place foam strips along the inside of the plastic interior pillar that you just removed. Cut to length of the pillar and press down so the sticky adhesive on the foam strip so it holds to the plastic pillar. Repeat for the other pillar. Once the sticky foam strips have been applied, reinstall both pillars to their original location.

You also can use the black silicone as well. Either method will work.

Hope this helped.

Last edited by fyr145; 04-28-2013 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:30 PM

^great explanation. I used similar stuff but the double sided sticky foam that's about an 1/8" thick. When I drove up north I almost couldn't hear my radio the things were so loud. Next trip no noise at all!

Also be careful with the weatherstrip at the bottom, it connects to each A-pillar by a little tab.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:33 PM

im trying this, mine is bad too! i thought it was the mirrors making noise or the wind shield leaking a very little bit of air as ive heard before.

ill check it out this week and report my findings as well.
steve

Old 04-29-2013, 09:01 AM

I just came back from up north and have wind noise as well. I will look into this.

Good suggestion guys!

Old 04-30-2013, 06:25 AM

I appreciate the advice but in my original posting you will notice that I have already put the tape under the plastic molding and even at the top of the doors when that did not work. However, I still have wind noise that is not normal. Can the doors be adjusted?

Old 04-30-2013, 07:34 AM
Default noise

Originally Posted by StormKatMan
I appreciate the advice but in my original posting you will notice that I have already put the tape under the plastic molding and even at the top of the doors when that did not work. However, I still have wind noise that is not normal. Can the doors be adjusted?
Storm,

The tape you're using may not be thick enough or hasn't been applied to the entire length of the pillar. Your post doesn't say just how thick your tape is nor if it was measured and cut to the same length as the pillar.

Another possible issue is the tape you put on the top of the door has created an oblique seal around the door. Without seeing the pillar and door or looking at pics of it. Its kind of difficult to provide assistance/advice to help remedy the problem. Many of us here that own H2's have had this same problem and have relative success in doing what was mentioned earlier.

So, at this point, I would now recommend that you try using a thicker piece of tape, maybe double up on what you have already on it or switch to the foam strips and see if that helps cure the problem.

As far as adjusting the doors go......i've never needed to do mine but I'm sure that the striker plate and nader pin are adjustable. But if these are the only ones adjustable, then this may not solve your problem. I have a OEM service manual at home and I can look in more detail later.

Last edited by fyr145; 04-30-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:58 AM

fyr145, thank you for the great suggestion. I was just starting to lean that way thinking that maybe the tape was not thick enough. It was not 1/8" thick. I was concerned about also making sure that the plastic molding did not stick up to where it was noticeable. I appreciate you approach to my posting as it was both respectful and informative. I will have time this weekend to try it again and keep you posted as to its success.

Quick Reply: Cannot fix wind noise at front doors! HELP