PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Air leaks out of the rear suspension sometimes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 06:23 PM
Default Air leaks out of the rear suspension sometimes?

About twice a week I come out to my 2003 H2 and it's what me and the wife refer to as Mr. Squatty. The air leaks out of the rear air suspension and it will be low riding in the back.

As soon as I turn the H2 on it will air that back up in a few seconds and stay aired up for days.

It seems peculiar that this is happening on both sides at the same time. What keeps them aired up and how easy/cheap is it to replace/fix?

Thanks!

Old 02-19-2011, 07:21 AM

You most likely have a leak in the air bags. It should be addressed soon as possible, besides the safety reasons, failure to do so can ruin the air pump unit causing more expense.. The air bags usually last about 5 years or so before they dry out & start to leak..

The air bags are not too bad $$ wise, but they are a little pricey. The Air pump units are also a bit tasty.. There is a coil over conversion which can also be done which eliminates the bags.. Some are better than others.

Jamie

Old 02-19-2011, 09:50 AM

Is it one "air bag" for both sides which would explain why it started happening (like 8 months ago) on both sides at the same time?

Autozone lists them for only $39 each, but they list a ton of different part numbers.
Here is a link to one: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=993789_0_0_

I also see some replacement bags on ebay that are over $300. If that's what I need then it's time to list the beauty up for sale

Last edited by pcm2a; 02-19-2011 at 09:59 AM.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:36 PM

You can get the factory air bags from your local g.m. dealer. they run about 165.

The dual stage air compressor is over 2000 so replace your bags asap unless your going to convert to coil springs.

Old 02-19-2011, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by pcm2a
Is it one "air bag" for both sides which would explain why it started happening (like 8 months ago) on both sides at the same time?

Autozone lists them for only $39 each, but they list a ton of different part numbers.
Here is a link to one: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=993789_0_0_

I also see some replacement bags on ebay that are over $300. If that's what I need then it's time to list the beauty up for sale
You would sell your H2 because you might have to spend $300?

Old 02-20-2011, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by colbymh
You would sell your H2 because you might have to spend $300?
Yeah for sure. The miles are getting up there and I've been thinking about it anyways.

It looks like I can get the spring conversion kit for around $300. I guess there also wouldn't be any rush since that pump won't be doing much after the conversion.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:00 AM

I bit the bullet and bought the spring kit, it was $330. Super easy installation, took about an hour.

If these air compressors cost so much does that mean I can sell the one I removed?

Old 06-12-2011, 07:33 PM

IF THE BAGS HOLD AIR - THEY ARE NOT the problem - FYI. It is the out-flow solenoid on the control module that is bad. The only time it is the bags is if they do not hold air EVER with the compressor off.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by CNG-HUMMER
IF THE BAGS HOLD AIR - THEY ARE NOT the problem - FYI. It is the out-flow solenoid on the control module that is bad. The only time it is the bags is if they do not hold air EVER with the compressor off.
I know this thread is a little old, but I think this may be my problem. I have an 05 SUV and it will sometimes sink down over night. Other days it stays up just fine. The compressor isn't always running so I figured it was something more upstream from the bags.

Anyone ever replace this solenoid? Difficulty? I'd like to fix my issue sooner rather than later. I don't want the expense of a new compressor anytime soon.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:47 PM

Best recommendation is to get under the rear of your vehicle with a spray bottle of soapy water. spray the entire air spring on both sides and follow the lines to the compressor. If and when you find the leak you will know what your looking at $ wise. The bags are a cinch to replace and run about $160 each for the O.E. part from your local gm dealer. You can install them yourself they actually clip in if I remember correctly and the lines are a push/pull clip that takes 5 seconds to install into the bag.

Quick Reply: Air leaks out of the rear suspension sometimes?