PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

A/C Diagnostics - Compressor?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 11:02 AM
Default A/C Diagnostics - Compressor?

Finally got all the kit to service/recharge the A/C.

1. Intial readings were approx 90psi both sides, no change with A/C running.
  2. Refridgerant emptied (slowly)
  3. Evacuated the Hi & Low sides down to -30inches of mercury.
  4. System held pressure both sides for 1hour so no major leaks.
  5. With engine running an A/C On, attempted to add 1.6lbs of r134a but could only get 1lb in, and that took a long time.
  6. Hi & Lo side pressure readings still only 90psi both sides.
The A/C clutch does engage but sometimes seems to re-engage periodically if the A/C is turned-off, almost as if the clutch is not fully disengaged. I would have thought it would go off when the A/C is switched off?

Also there seems to be squeaky noise as if the belt is slipping or the compressor has a bad bearing.

To me it seems like the compressor+clutch need replacing, any thoughts or suggestions much appreciated?

Where is the best place to get them from? (I am in the UK )

Last edited by oceanbrave; 07-17-2017 at 03:25 AM. Reason: Re-phrase
Old 07-17-2017, 02:22 PM

I'm not an A/C tech but that is classic bad compressor signs as I have read.

Mine was the same way, however, when the idle was increased to about 2000 rpms, my pressure dropped substantially and allowed more freon. I don't know how long it will last and still doesn't cool like it should but it will get my by. The good thing is that a new one, in the US, is only about $90.00

Best of luck

Tim

Old 07-17-2017, 09:47 PM

With the truck engine off reach down and try and turn the front section of the clutch, not the pulley the belt is on but the very front section.

you can turn it by hand if the compressor is ok, if not you will not be able to move it. If the pulley bearing fails it will usually destroy the belt as soon as you crank the engine. I have seen the pulley bearing go bad and it will growl so bad you wont be able to hear the engine running. I have changed a few but not many its usually the compressor that causes the squealing your describing if it only does it when you turn the AC on.

Neal

Old 07-18-2017, 03:31 AM

Thanks for the help.

Actually I'm torn between it being a clutch issue or a compressor issue, either way it looks like the compressor has to come out and I'll have to import spares from the US.

Here in the UK there are very few Hummer A/C spares dealers so we just can't go and pick-up a replacement part if its needed. So with this in mind I've ordered a complete kit which should cover all the likely components. By the time it gets here it will have cost $450 including shipping and import duty. Does this kit look reasonable and OK?

Am I correct that access to the compressor is via the from RHS wheel arch so the trim will have to come-off and possibly the wheel?

Also how does the pulley belt come-off in case any special tools are needed?

Old 07-18-2017, 06:57 AM

It is a fairly easy swap. You are smart in ordering a complete kit. I hope you ordered a quality kit as there are a lot of chinese junk parts for sale. The belt will remove easy. You should not need more than normal hand tools to get the job done. Adding the correct amount of oil to your replacement components is paramount.

Old 07-19-2017, 03:25 AM

Thanks for the heads-up.

Mmm on the Chinese question the web site doesnt say (a worry) so I'll call and ask.