PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blend Door Actuator Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 04:01 PM
Thumbs up Blend Door Actuator Replacement

Wow, I just finished replacing my blend door actuator after living with it for over a year. Got nothing but hot air on my side. Hot like 130 degrees hot, while the passenger side was at 45. Code was a B0414. Everything I read about the job said it calls for an R&R time of like 10 hours. Dreading what sounded like complete disassembly of the dash, I plunged in. Pulled the glove box and surrounding trim first. Dropped the passenger insulator with 2 screws and bingo, there it was. Don't know why the factory manual shows the insulator as a one piece unit across the whole bottom. Mine came right out in half and there was the actuator. 1 plug and 2 screws and the offending unit was in my hand. Took all of about 20 minutes. $236 later from my local Chevy dealer and 20 more minutes to put it all back together, 60 seconds to recallibrate itself, and I'm back in business. There may be another one in there that takes 10 hours somewhere, but I hope I never find out! Best to all.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:09 PM

Feels good to get lucky once in a while. Congrats on the easy repair. I wonder if the dealer would have still charged you the 10 hours.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:07 AM

Good going! It's always a great feeling to fix something yourself, save a ton of money and learn a bit in the process. This is a good post for others to refer to in the future.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:50 PM
Smile Additional Info

Thanks. In case anyone does use this as a reference, my 2 is an '04 with a build date of 12/3/04. And as a side, it has the later non-lux amp and an '05 touch screen navigation unit was pretty much plug n play. After I installed the antenna of course.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:53 PM

I posted this on some other sites and just joined here and wanted to let you know some more details on the Blend Door Actuators. I bought my part through XL Parts and it was around $8x.xx I will look up the number and it is a ACDelco.

It is the blower door actuator. The HVAC system under the passengers dash, to access it remove the cover below the glove compartment, 2 screws. The drivers blower door actuator motor is closest to the transmission tunnel and is held in place with 2 screws. The Passenger blower door actuator is directly above it on the TOP of the housing. Remove the glove compartment and you can get to it on the top of the HVAC system. Reach up and unplug it and plug it back in first. if it does not correct it you will need to replace it. It is not an easy job since most of the dash must be removed. Start by removing all the decorative allen bolts accross the dash. The center section can be pulled forward an inch or so. This will allow you to remove the trim around the speedometer cluster and drivers a/c vent. The passengers side is a little tricky. You need to remove the side panel that rests up against the door panel. Shine a light in at the upper left corner and you will see a white button aprox 1/8" wide and 1/2" tall this needs to be pushed in with a flat blad screwdriver while gently pulling out on the passenger grab bar(above the airbag). The second white button can be reached throught the far left glove compartment opening. I reached up and pushed in on the white button on this side while pulling out on the handle. This will allow the handle to be removed and the trim peices following. You can now see the screws that hold the upper dash cover there are aprox 3 screws on the driver and passenger side. You also have 2 in the center behind the center trim piece pull forward an inch or so and a 1/4" drive socket will get to the screws here. It then just pulls straight forward NOT UP. and don't forget to unplug the sun sensor on the dash. I removed the clip holding the duct work you will now see is connected to the backside of the dash passengers side. I resecured it from the outside when reassembling. The acctuator can be gotten to and replaced. It is still tight but I did not have to take it to the dealer. The part from the dealer is 237.xx check with gmpartsdirect.com for pricing shipped to you. You have 3 actuators on the H2 Drivers side, Passenges side, and recirculate. I would suggest whil you are under the dash remove the blower motor (3 screws and clean out the fan shoot some compressed air in to get any other dust out.)I just did this to mine today.

I know it would be better with pictures but I forgot to take them. email me if you need any clarification. mtoddbarrow@gmail.com

Old 05-23-2010, 09:10 AM

My reg mechanic is about to go into the actuator replacement for my H2. The pass side blow crazy hot hair while the DS is cool. Im a little confused one guy says it takes 20 min and anothers is a bit longer. Are they not all in the same area? Any addition tips would be appreciated.

thanks

Old 05-23-2010, 06:52 PM
Default 20 minutes

The lower actuator (blend) is a 20 minute job. The upper (recirc) would take a couple hours unless you know exactly how to pull the dash panels off without breaking tabs. Once you've done it before, an hour should be enough. The (mode) actuator is on the drivers side, left of the radio, and should take about the same. Can't remember where I saw it was a 10 hour R&R on the recirc, but that info is bogus and a ripoff. I suffered this condition for 2 hot summers because It scared me, but was really no problem. And while the upper pad is off its a great time to put you nav antenna in its factory place. Piece of cake!

Old 05-23-2010, 06:59 PM
Thumbs up Hot & Cold

Hot on the left, cold on the right is the lower blend actuator (20 minutes). It will show a code B0414. This code will not trip the SES or any other light and you can only see it with one of the better scan tools or some reprogramming tools. I never did find a definitive answer to my many searches on the problem and only learned by doing it. The reverse condition I'm assuming throws a different code and may be the recirc actuator. Good luck and please let us know what you find. Best to all. L

Last edited by Lionel; 05-23-2010 at 07:01 PM. Reason: error
Old 05-25-2010, 08:02 PM
Default A 4th Actuator for right temp control

OK, The right temperature is controlled by the right temp actuator which is on the top of the HVAC module to the left of the recirc actuator. Your gonna have to take the top dash cover off to get to it. There are 4 total actuators, Right Temp, Left Temp, Recirculation and Mode. I've got every manual made for these trucks and I swear the diagrams look like they were drawn by 3rd graders in all of 'em. Would B&W pics be too much to ask for in a $150 set of manuals?

Last edited by Lionel; 05-27-2010 at 06:52 AM.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:21 AM
Default AC blowing out of Defrost

Which actuator would control my AC that only comes out of defrost?

Any Idea?

Quick Reply: Blend Door Actuator Replacement