Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   Hummer H2 (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/hummer-h2-8/)
-   -   Australia calling (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/hummer-h2-8/australia-calling-41289/)

MichaelAngelo 04-25-2019 04:13 AM

Australia calling

Well, here I am, in Melbourne Australia, the owner of a H2 Hummer, built late 2004, spent 12 years in Tokyo Japan, imported to Australia mid 2017, converted to right hand drive 2018. Yours truly bought it in October 2018. A few dodgy (Aussie term for not so good) things in the conversion, aircon crap, no rear vents, no handbrake warning light, no horn, but what the hell, will fix, an I do not have indicator lights on the transfer case and diff lock controls, but all works as I have found out off road. I have put new springs and 1" lift spacers in the rear end, dialed up the saggy front to stock, front end alignment, awesome Rancho adjustable shocks all round, fabricated a winch cradle and have A 17000 In which tied down in the load bay for plug and play into the front and rear tow hitch with 400 amp cables, isolator and Anderson connectors. Fitted an auxiliary battery which I tucked up in the cavity behind the rear axle, and then took the car up to the Victorian Alps and did some serious, serious stuff. I have had 6 Landcruiser in my time, awesome, and a couple of English cars, Discovery (baaad) and an early Range Rover, I report to you, my American Brothers and Sisters, the H2 Is up there. Awesome, fantastic machine. Now, to cut to the chase. I have a loud knocking noise occur on my last sojourn into the mountains in early March, front right hand side when going over (big) bumps or climbing downhill over rocks. Is it ball joints, bushes, everything coming undone? All looks okay, drives fine on the road though drove ovet a curb the other day cuz I was lazy and chewed up the grass and another loud knock as the front wheel hit the tarmac again. Any advice much appreciated. My best regards, Mike

bronxteck 04-25-2019 02:04 PM

if you cranked up the torsion bars too much it could be hitting the top of the torsion bar crossmember. but that sound would come from behind you. another thing you can look for is if you still have front bump stops. a few more things to check are front sway bar link ends and the sway bar bushes. that would be the cheaper of the clunks to diagnose any ways. there are definitely more clunk factors involved but that starts going in to lower and upper control arms and steering / drive/ body components. you can also check for a loose shock or worn out upper shock bushes.

H2Miami 04-25-2019 08:11 PM

I had a similar noise . Drives me crazy for a while . After replacing the shocks it was fixed .

MichaelAngelo 04-28-2019 02:26 AM

Australia calling

Thanks guys, shocks good, will check steering and roll bar, I am thinking ball joint. Need to source front end suspension rebuild, ball joints, rods, control arms. Any suggestions as to best brands? Most deliver to Australia, already pulled a few things from US. I seriously want the Hummercore brush guard with the over the hood metalwork but costs more to ship than the steel. Cheers, MichaelAngelo

MichaelAngelo 05-16-2019 02:59 AM

Australia calling- body mounts cactus (worn beyond usability

Well, back again. Knocking noise looks like disintergrated body mounts on my H2. Front driver ( RHS, converted to Oz roads) fell off when I checked it. Any recommendations please? Replace all mounts with harder material? Replace with stock? Some sites have Rahul mounts. Are the H2 mounts the same as Silverado and Tahou? Any help appreciated, cheers Mike

bronxteck 05-16-2019 10:16 AM

I have been wondering the same thing. I calculated about 1200$ USD sourcing everything from the dealer. For me I had some silicon body mounts laying around leftover from a friends project. I just used them for the lower half of the body mounts. For the mean time till I also find a permanent solution.On mine most of the bolts and washers rotted off as well and the upper mushroom cap washer part that the bolt goes through the lower bush’s
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hum...36ac76cfc.jpeg
the bolt in the image actually came out with an impact gun funny enough. I had no idea how bad it actually was

madmayo 05-22-2019 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by bronxteck (Post 360725)
I have been wondering the same thing. I calculated about 1200$ USD sourcing everything from the dealer. For me I had some silicon body mounts laying around leftover from a friends project. I just used them for the lower half of the body mounts. For the mean time till I also find a permanent solution.On mine most of the bolts and washers rotted off as well and the upper mushroom cap washer part that the bolt goes through the lower bush’s
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hum...36ac76cfc.jpeg
the bolt in the image actually came out with an impact gun funny enough. I had no idea how bad it actually was

Wow! Scary. Body being held on by toothpicks

coffeydp 06-02-2019 04:24 PM

Has anyone found a kit that will fit our H2s? I was underneath mine this weekend and noticed the same issues, so not looking forward to doing it, but its need to be done. I looked to see what other vehicles have the same part number OE body mount and the Cadillac Escalades use the same mounts, and then they have this ENERGY SUSPENSION
3.4156G, which could work. The only thing is that the OE body mounts state for position 1 or 4, but i'm not sure what that means. For the bolt it is this 11519402, and can be found on a few different sites, rockauto.com being one of the cheaper ones.

bronxteck 06-02-2019 09:44 PM

there are 6 mounts per side 12 in total. #1 is at the front the one you see near the front bumper in the wheel well, the last one being #6 behind the rear bumper so #4 would be near the rear doors. from what I remember not all the mounts interchange with the Escalades and Yukons. I don't know what the difference is but something is better than nothing in my opinion. I have had older cars with the silicone mounts they transferred a bit of vibration and noise into the cabin compared to the factory rubber.

coffeydp 06-03-2019 07:59 AM

bronxteck, that makes sense, should have thought of that. Yeah going off of what is available, 1 or 4 position, they dont seem all the same, but haven't been able to find mounts for the other positions, any clue on that? Yeah for sure something is better than nothing, and a little nvh I can deal with, just turn the radio up more haha. I know its a best to replace all of them at once, but doing it with the factory rubber ones is crazy expensive!