PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Anyone use the Onstar Mic in a after market head unit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 11:19 PM
Default Anyone use the Onstar Mic in a after market head unit?

I have added switches for off road lights and enhanced my AV pioneer App radio and want to reinstall the center console and put my dash back together. I keep looking at the microphone plug for the onstar unit I removed and would think it would work better then the one supplied with the head unit but I have no idea on how to do it. The rear of the head unit has a mini RCA plug for the mic and the onstar has a square plug with a drain wire.

Anyone do this already. Splice or some adapter?

Thanks

Ted

Old 04-30-2017, 12:47 PM

I did it. Works great too! Pretty much cut the plug off the factory wires, then get a plug like what your stereo needs and solder it onto the factory wires and plug it in.

You can also do this with the Onstar GPS antenna if your aftermarket stereo has nav.

Old 05-01-2017, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
I did it. Works great too! Pretty much cut the plug off the factory wires, then get a plug like what your stereo needs and solder it onto the factory wires and plug it in.

You can also do this with the Onstar GPS antenna if your aftermarket stereo has nav.
Thanks, it will be so much cleaner and the onstar stuff seems to have worked better then what the AV company originally installed.

Now my wife tells me this morning she has Bluetooth pairing problems with her Acura MDX. Apparently the MDX is notorious for this. I only have one or two weeks left before one has to work in an AC garage due to the heat and humidity. The list just gets bigger and bigger. Lol

T