PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

air suspension ride

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 04:22 PM
Default air suspension ride

I was wondering if any one has any info on air suspension system on a 2004 Hummer H2. Seems that after parking the car for the night, the rear end lowers itself all the way down. This has never done it before. Please advise....

Old 08-10-2011, 09:57 PM

I heard that when that happens there is a leak in the airbags. Someone on here put it in perspective for me that air bags are like tires....they need to be replaced every so often. You'll find some that don't like the air system and get a conversion kit. I love mine and like the fact that i have an on board air compressor system for off roading. Air bags aren't intended to last the life of a vehicle and are usually good for about 80,000 miles from what I gather.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:40 PM

Yeah, if you browse these forums you will find lots of info on the air system. Whatever you decide to do (convert to coil springs or replace the bags) I'd do it quick. waiting on the bags will cause your compressor to run too often and eventually overheat and die. the bags are about 160 each from your local gm dealer and quite simple to install even at home without professional tools. the compressor if it goes bad from running all the time is over 2k.

Old 08-16-2011, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by H2CANEPADESIGN
Whatever you decide to do (convert to coil springs or replace the bags) I'd do it quick. waiting on the bags will cause your compressor to run too often and eventually overheat and die. the bags are about 160 each from your local gm dealer and quite simple to install even at home without professional tools. the compressor if it goes bad from running all the time is over 2k.
x2
Correct it ASAP or it will cost you for a new compressor. With bad Air Bags your compressor will run constantly and burn out, especially when you drive and can't hear it. I have a 2004 and just replaced the bags even though they didn't go bad yet. Now I have 2 trail spares

Old 09-07-2011, 08:02 PM

I just wanted to thank everyone for their input...turns out that the dealer ALL but screwed up on the diagnosis.....plus the fact that this was paid by an insurance claim from an accident....dealer staed that the compressor was bad and needed to be replaced....sad part is they never drove the vehicle, so if they would've driven it, they would've known that the compressor worked fine and the bags were bad....so I actually have a WHOLE new systemon the dealer....I will never go back to that dealer again....insurance didn't pay a thing and dealer ate the WHOLE cost of the repair.....I guess Dealer mechanics are not as SMART as they appear....

Old 09-07-2011, 08:04 PM

Also, has anyone experienced the compressor adjusting itself at different positions....on a hill, standing still at a light for a while....or should I take it back for a check up??????

Old 09-09-2011, 12:44 PM

I believe the bags are supposed to adjust themselves, if you look above the tire there is a small lever that connects to the suspension that tells the compressor to lift the lower side to level the vehicle.