PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Air suspension lower cost solutions

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 05:39 PM
Default Air suspension lower cost solutions

Many have experienced compressor failure as well as ecm failure like I have and were told the only solution was to buy the $2000 set-up and pay to have it all set-up again...only likely to fail again. I took a plunge and decided that I didn't want to spend several thousand yet I wanted to maintain my air suspension and tore into it. Of course the first surprise was the metric lines and fittings....I couldn't find them anywhere here in alaska or any info on them....everyone else uses 1/4" which is a little larger. Nobody seemed able to help. Well here is what I did:

I took out airbags and popped out the top part of the quick connect fitting, drilled it out just slightly larger to allow 1/4" line through. Then i yanked out the entire factory assembly. I peeled evrything off the mounting plate except one compressor that was still good (my ecm failed as well). I then mounted a firestone compressor as well and ran that set up in 1/4" to my airbags through an "in cab" control to manually raise and lower your ride height at will....works awesome...lower for car wash clearance (on 37's), raise for look you want, etc etc. Then I ran the factory compressor using metric line from original install to the inflator...this part is tricky. It is a low reference voltage to the switch so you have to crack open the large wire harness that went to the ecm. We cut/jumped a gray relay wire to orange to power the factory relay full time then yellow relay ground wire to purple from the switch...all done right there an inch above the connector. Then we cut grounded the green wire from the switch out of that same harness to the frame. Then we use the green and black larger wires to power the compressor and voila!
A little work but I now have incab control of my air ride height and a system I can work with. i carry a quick connect schrader valve incase my compressor fails i can use the inflator to manually inflate the springs.

Not for everyone but for $250 (if bought new....i had one lying around from older truck) for the firestone kit i'll never have to put it in the dealer again and can work on it myself. Now my only challenge is getting the service air suspension message to go away

Old 10-06-2009, 03:10 PM

you can get the message away with a HP programmer

i have another question for you. You also drive 37 inch wheels. I'm not happy with the way it drives. On wet roads it starts tail wagging very fast. The rear tires don't wear at all. does anybody have any suggestions?

I use BFGOODRICH AT tires. A friend of mine says the rubber is too hard. They last long but don't stick to the road at all

what is your opinion