PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Aftermarket Alarm

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 06:23 PM

There are free trackers from auto insurance companies.

Old 05-08-2019, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by clsimmon
I've thought through all of these scenarios as well, but the best I can think of is buying an older generation iphone, putting it on the family plan, and hiding it somewhere near a 12v constant supply. From there you can use Apple's "find my iphone" and track your truck anywhere no matter where it goes. It uses e911 location based services so it never really even has to see the sky like gps.
I have thought of that for my boat

Old 05-09-2019, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by hummerz
There are free trackers from auto insurance companies.

Yeah but on those, they are keep very close track of your driving habits as well and while they might not all state it up front, they DO adjust your policy rates based on those driving habits.... I like the idea of a GPS tracker but not one that will potentially also be used against me. While I generally drive very well (not had a ticket or accident in over 20 years) when I do want to stop it and drive like an idiot, I dont care for my insurance company knowing about it.

Old 05-12-2019, 09:57 AM

Thanks again everyone! Which tracker was your friend using for $5 a month? I would cancel my OnStar subscription since I don't think it even works anymore with the older systems and pay for a tracker.

Old 05-13-2019, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by LoJac963
Thanks again everyone! Which tracker was your friend using for $5 a month? I would cancel my OnStar subscription since I don't think it even works anymore with the older systems and pay for a tracker.
This is the one my buddy has.

Old 05-28-2019, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by LoJac963
I've mentioned before having a bunch of Viper stuff in my Amazon cart but still not sure exactly where to go. I have no problem ripping into my rig and wiring harnesses.

I am curious to hear from anyone who has installed a aftermarket alarm themselves, preferably one with remote start.

Thanks in advance!
A friend of mine installed for me an alarm system with keyless entry (proximity sensor) and push button start.
The only problem I had was with the remote start function. The h2 would start but, would not run... According, to my scanner, the reason were DTC's from the clutch and torque converter.
It was just a matter of clearing the codes and the truck would run again without any problems. On the other hand, with the push button start I had no issues whatsoever.

Another issue was that the lights would not give any feedback when locking or unlocking the vehicle.

BUT - Three months later, I decided to replace the batteries on my factory remote that had been sitting on my desk. With both remote controls in the vehicle, I had the great idea of letting the valet park it, Apparently he used both controls to lock the h2 and screwed things up quite badly. It just would not start again and got itself into theft mode.After a while (about an hour) I managed to get it out of theft mode but it still would not start. I had to call an electro mechanic to remove the aftermarket alarm, push button start and rewire everything according to specs.

In conclusion, I believe that you MUST install a factory alarm bypass module in order for ANY aftermarket alarm to function properly. I loved my PKE system and I will give it another try as soon as I get the module in question.