PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Aftermarket Alarm

Old 05-07-2019, 07:40 PM
Default Aftermarket Alarm

I've mentioned before having a bunch of Viper stuff in my Amazon cart but still not sure exactly where to go. I have no problem ripping into my rig and wiring harnesses.

I am curious to hear from anyone who has installed a aftermarket alarm themselves, preferably one with remote start.

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-08-2019, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by LoJac963
I've mentioned before having a bunch of Viper stuff in my Amazon cart but still not sure exactly where to go. I have no problem ripping into my rig and wiring harnesses.

I am curious to hear from anyone who has installed a aftermarket alarm themselves, preferably one with remote start.

Thanks in advance!
Dont do it
I installed one Clifford a few years ago when brought the truck
Most of the time I don't use it . These new alarms can be somehow problematic since they are "smart" , can lock itself , can prevent car from start , there a lot of sensors which trigger for not reason giving false alarms .
Only good is tge remote starter which you may get without an alarm anyway
If you feel you need an alarm get a cheap one. Only for the three doors
Eitherway if someone want to stole your truck they will
Also tge iis a lot of wiring cut involved
I would paid to disconnect mine
If you decide to do it then either do it yourself looking loot of info or get someone professional who iis good and recommend .

Last edited by H2Miami; 05-08-2019 at 06:50 AM.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:57 AM

We had a viper remote start installed in our Escalade (not H2) and it has worked very well with no issues for years. I can't speak for the alarm system. I had a professional install it and didn't do it myself.

Old 05-08-2019, 08:56 AM

Compustar/Arctic Start ones are top notch. I really like their remotes.... The remote for me is one of the most important aspects. That is the one piece you interact with every day. Better ones have a metal attachment through the main shell of the casing or at minimum still are attached largely through the casing with a substantial amount of plastic. Others will eventually end up breaking off. Better ones will also have buttons decently recessed so you are not triggering functions in your pocket - like the stupid factory remote alarm button every one of us have invariable set off unintentionally... lol.

There are also of course the new tech stuff which uses a cellular basic data setup and you use an app on your smart phone and have to pay a monthly fee (cellular services are not free). I've never tried one of those as I'm not going to pay a monthly fee. Compustar for the most part does their setups a bit different. You get one of a couple of different "brain" modules (pretty much one is remote start only, the other remote start and security) then you select your transmitter/antenna package which is a wide variety of ranges and features like using your factory remotes only (poor range), one way, two way (provides feedback like running state, optional inside vehicle temp, etc), cellular with an app, etc. Then you can optionally get other add ons like shock sensors, a cool code/tap entry thing that you stick in a window (very handy for places like the beach where you might not want to carry your keys), inside temp sensors, additional function relay triggers (you can use an additional remote button to roll down your windows or cut your heated seats on as an example). Of course the more features you want to add/integrate the more wiring will be needed. I actually have an awesome Arctic Start system I'm going to install on my H2. I already have the same setup on my GMC truck and with this specific remote I can start it from nearly a mile away and I can control two vehicles with the same remote which is a big plus. So in my case I just needed another "brain" module and the antenna. The Compustar brain modules also have a simple little plug in card for factory security bypass instead of having to wire in a separate module for that. Even the other brands mentioned are all mostly fine though, I've had a couple of the DEI brands (Viper, and several other brands are all essentially the same) in the past as well as even a lower end Bulldog one which worked fine but the remote breaks easily.

There is a lot of wiring involved on the 03-07 models though. On the 08-09 you can get a T-harness which are a ton easier to install. The most issues people have with alarm and/or remote start systems is poor wiring using Scotch-Locks, the cheapest poor quality generic butt connectors (the metal is weak and they come loose, better name brand ones from 3M, etc are a LOT harder to crimp for a reason), etc. Most better brands will also have zero warranty if you install yourself but if you are competent and do your wiring right than that is generally not going to be an issue. I've seen stereo shops do far worse work than I ever would do myself.

Another big problem I've seen over the years with DIY and supposed pro shops on wiring is not properly securing and/or wrapping wiring, not using grommets where passing through the firewall, etc. When you see the factory wiring what is something that you almost always notice? The wiring is wrapped, often with a fabric or foam tape where it might potentially cause rattles, noises, or rub against something, almost always secured in various places again to prevent noise and issues from constant vibrations. The factory does not go to all that effort for the fun of it or because its cheaper... When adding something I will try to run in existing factory bundles, or create new wire bundles wrapped and secured. When working on something later and there is just random individual wires pulled all over the place it makes it a mess and very hard to troubleshoot. Doing things right takes a good bit more time and effort, skill, and even costs though.

Old 05-08-2019, 12:32 PM

I found this yesterday, really good link on wiring a kill switch to the fuel pump.
. a simple good addition to any alarm or good by itself.

My wifes yukon got stolen from her work and ended on the reserve where most gmcs and hummers go to die. We ended up replacing it with another yukon and the cops thought we were crazy and warned us that it would get stolen as well. I had a top of the line Clifford installed with the immobilizer. They have tried to sreal that truck at least 10 times. I have lost count of how many punched locks and ignitions i have replaced. But they have never gotten it. The immobilizer is the key. When i bought my h2, i drove it straight to the alarm shop and had a clifford installed in it as well. They have never attempted to steal the deuce. But i also never leave it anywhwere for long periods and then it goes right back into the garage.

IF you install the alarm yourself. Make sure to put the immobilizer somewhere up under the dash that is hard to access. Put it between two plates of steel and then tape the **** out of it. So then if they find it theu really have to work at it and waste time to get it.

Old 05-08-2019, 01:14 PM

Interesting information gents, thank you.

Kill switch is a definite consideration and a stand alone remote start is a possibility to thank you guys for that info. Basically, I was thinking aftermarket alarm because I am so paranoid of my rig being stolen when I take her out. I don't drive it much so when I do it scares the hell out of me most of the time if I cannot keep direct line of sight lol. I may be crazy but I'm put so much time and effort into that old lady I don't want anything to happen to her. In addition to what you guys mentioned, I was thinking of doing a GPS tracker in the off chance it is ever stolen.

Old 05-08-2019, 01:59 PM

I live on 28 acres I don't even lock my doors

Old 05-08-2019, 04:07 PM

I've thought through all of these scenarios as well, but the best I can think of is buying an older generation iphone, putting it on the family plan, and hiding it somewhere near a 12v constant supply. From there you can use Apple's "find my iphone" and track your truck anywhere no matter where it goes. It uses e911 location based services so it never really even has to see the sky like gps.

Old 05-08-2019, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by clsimmon
I've thought through all of these scenarios as well, but the best I can think of is buying an older generation iphone, putting it on the family plan, and hiding it somewhere near a 12v constant supply. From there you can use Apple's "find my iphone" and track your truck anywhere no matter where it goes. It uses e911 location based services so it never really even has to see the sky like gps.
That is a hell of an interesting concept!

Old 05-08-2019, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by LoJac963
That is a hell of an interesting concept!
Buddy and I were just talking about the trackers yesterday as his beloved Silverado that he had built was stolen. His dad and him are avid collectors and they have now outfitted everything with trackers. I was surprised that the subscription was a mere 5$ US a month. He also told me that his buddy had just finished building his truck and put a tracker on it. 2 weeks later it was stolen. He said that by the time the tracker company notified him it was stolen. They lost the signal. Then a week or so later the signal came back on but the truck was in germany or something like that. Dont know if i believe that part and i really have no knowledge or experience with them. But thought i would share it.

I will be installing the kill switch in our yukon and h2. I also recommend the club. That is often enough to scare off the lazy ones during daylight as it takes more time and they usually move onto the next victim.

I go as far as leaving my Mastiff and Dogo in the garage when not home and at night. Been a victim once, was super pissed for weeks and it was my wifes truck. I'd be head hunting if it was the deuce.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aftermarket Alarm